Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Old 03-26-2005, 10:49 PM
ih1974D1100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member and I am really impressed with this web sight. I just bought a 99 Durango 4X4 with a 5.9L. Love the Truck but it has some problems. Here is my problem, My ABS and Brake lights are stuck on. I read on this sight that auto parts stores generally will scan your truck for free so I took it to a parts store and had them scan my vehicle for codes. They ran their scan tool and found that there wasn't anything wrong with my ABS system even though my ABS light and Brake light are on. They then told me, in order to clear the codes and turn my warning lights off I should go home and unplug the battery, let it sit for a minute or so, depress the brake peddal 4 times, then reconect the battery cable. This didn't work so and I was somewhat suspect of the guy at that parts store so I went to another and had the same experience. The guy at the second parts strore couldn't find anything either and tried to clear the codes to turn the warning lights off but couldn't because there weren't codes to be found. I would like to try to aviod taking it to a dealer ship because I haven't much money. Is there anything else any of you would suggest me trying? I really apretiate any of your suggestions.

Thank you,
Matt

Old 03-27-2005, 02:17 AM
tst31
Rookie
Default RE: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

I had the same Durango, 5.9L, 4WD, with the same problem, as well as a lack of speedo below 20 mph. I had to change the rear wheel speed sensor (screws right in towards the top of the rear differential.) Took about fifteen minutes with an open end wrench, not difficult at all. This took care of the ABS and brake light problem. However, this does not get rid of the error code that is logged into your computer. Disconnecting the battery does not clear the errror code either. The only way to get rid of the code is to plug in a DRB reader, just under the dash area, to the left. This takes about five minutes, and a repair shop did it for me free of charge. It is up to you whether or not you can score the same deal. Anyway, there are several other threads in this forum that show usually it is a problem with the speed sensors that give you the warning lights. More often than not, a rear wheel speed sensor is the culprit, although rarely it is also caused by an output shaft sensor (found on the transmission, again 15 min. fix, a bit messier) and the front wheel speed sensor (found near the steering nuckle on each front wheel). The rear sensor is probably your best bet, and can usually be found at Autozone in stock for about 24-30 dollars, Kragen for a little less, but they usually need to order. Try one of those first, unless you want OEM, which runs about 48-56 dollars. I'm just a garage mechanic, but I did alot of research because I was in the same boat as you, and didn't want to pay anybody alot of coin to do something I was capable of. Good luck, hopefully this will help you.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
ih1974D1100

tst31,

Thank you for the reply. I will try to check those things that you listed out. Is there any method to check sensors working condition? I think I remember from auto shop that you can check them with a ohm meter or a volt meter. Sorry that I didn't mention this before, I knew that I should have, but my speedo works fine at all speeds and so does my cruise control so possibly it is one of the other items that you have mentioned. Also I don't know if this changes anything but my 4x4 light doesn't come on when the vehicle is in fulltime 4X4 but it does work. Thanks again for all of your info. I will post agian when I figure out what went wrong.

Matt

Old 04-22-2005, 06:57 PM
vogel1230

ih1974D1100, Please let me know if you find out what your problem is. I have the same indications with the ABS, Brake, and Full-Time 4x4 lights.
Thanks!!

Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 PM
rockadaous
Professional

you can also go to autozone. they can clear the codes for free

Old 06-16-2005, 09:58 PM
RikiTiki

ORIGINAL: tst31

I had the same Durango, 5.9L, 4WD, with the same problem, as well as a lack of speedo below 20 mph. I had to change the rear wheel speed sensor (screws right in towards the top of the rear differential.) Took about fifteen minutes with an open end wrench, not difficult at all. This took care of the ABS and brake light problem.
Hmmm, it must be time for failures on '99 Durango rear ABS sensors. My brake/ABS lights came on this week. I also noticed my speedometer seems to be off 3-4 MPH to the high side (I have a GPS so I trust it's speed reading). My mechanic hooked up his OBD-II tester and saw the rear sensor is failing.

ORIGINAL: tst31

The rear sensor is probably your best bet, and can usually be found at Autozone in stock for about 24-30 dollars, Kragen for a little less, but they usually need to order. Try one of those first, unless you want OEM, which runs about 48-56 dollars.
I went to AutoZone and they don't show any ABS sensors in their inventory. I also tried C.A.P. who carries the front left and front right "kits" (at $160.00 each!) but don't show the rear ABS sensor as being available.

Does anyone have a part number, or accurate description, for this part so I can go back and get one?

Maybe it's listed under "speed sensor" and not ABS sensor?

~Rick

Old 07-30-2005, 06:53 AM
eagle2232

The Brake & ABS Light problem is very common on Durango's, and **MOST** likely it's a faulty Rear Differential Speed Sensor that's the culprit. I just picked one up from the local Dodge Dealer for $49, Mopar brand, Part Number 5014787AA for my '98 Durango. You can probably cross reference that number to find a compatible aftermarket part at non-dealer parts stores. The funny thing was that when it was my turn after waiting in line to talk to the lone Parts Desk guy, he grinned at my request for the rear diff speed sensor, and said that's exactly what the guy ahead of me wanted, too! Interesting also that that customer had a '91 Dodge truck, and the same Part Number applied to his as my '98, which tells me that Chrysler has been selling these cheap, prone to fail parts for a long time. Furthermore, the Parts Guy even confirmed that the sensor was the known fault, when he said "Oh, your ABS and Brake warning lights aren't they, they're lit and stay on....this will take care of it." The thing that frosts me, is that Chrysler knows that this is a problem, but they shamelessly reap untold $$$ from uninformed Durango owners by leading them to believe that a $800 ABS Control Module repair job is in order---which IS the error code that's kicked out of the computer when the Brake/ABS light is on. I could go on with my ISSUES with Chrysler, but enough said. Anyhow, another D owner was nice enough to post on another forum the folllowing steps to install the Sensor, which I in-turn pass along to help everyone else who may benefit from this stupid situation that Chrysler should be accountable for...GOOD LUCK TO ALL:

(--- forwarded information ---)
My 2000 Durango had the ABS and Brake light illuminated last week. Turns out it indicated a problem with the ABS speed sensor that is located on top of the rear differential. The part number for the 2000 Dodge Durango is P/N 56028187AE, cost is a list price of $35.50 from Dodge dealer in Austin.

The dealer said they get to replace quite a few of these sensors, so this is common. I would do this prior to having a dealer tell you the ABS computer needs replacement ($$$).

I used the following information to replace (required about 30 mintues of time during my lunch hour).

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal
2. Remove 13 MM top using deep box wrench. Remove the cable bracket attached at this point and move out of the way slightly.
3. Remove 14 MM bottom nut/bolt using deep box wrench.
4. Press connector with thumb and pull connector off sensor (2 wires)
5. Wiggle sensor up along with the metal bracket that goes around the sensor.
6. Dip finger in hole and put differential oil on O ring on new sensor
7. Push sensor new in metal bracket and bolt in.
8. Put ignition key in and turn to on position for 30 seconds. Step on the brake pedal at this point to put a current drain on the computer system (assures a reset condition)
9. Reconnect negative post of car battery
10. Important Note: the fault (ABS and brake) did not go out until I started to drive the car (about 10 seconds). Just setting still, the light did not go out which made me concern that this did not repair the problem. But it did.

That is all there is to it.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 PM
a_leafer

i had the same problem. got the new part at the dealer $37 and didn't even have to put it on. the lights just stopped showing up at 40MPH.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only way I know how you can check an ABS system for problems is to take it to a dealer. They are the only ones that can read an ABS system. Many shops have told this to me. I had a problem fixed once and it was a front wheel sensor it cost me about $128. But I wouldn't know where to even start. Before you go buying all these weird parts, I would gust take it in.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 AM
wiskeydog

I have read many scripts about problems with the ABS and Brake light on, including the fact that the speedometer doesn't go beyond 20-30 mph. The problem I have is that my ABS and Brake light is on but my speedo goes beyond 20-30 mph up to 95 mph (last time I pushed it). My truck is a 1998 1500 4X4 5.2 AUTOMATIC. What is different is that my 4WD light flickers off and on when I drive it. Does anyone have this same problem!!!!! If I don't hear from anyone soon I will try to replace the rear differential sensor and hopefully this will work. I will let the Dodge-public know about my results!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!