3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Reset MIL

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:16 PM
AlaskaMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset MIL

Does anyone know how to reset the MIL light on the dash of a 2005 Dakota? I changed my spark plugs at 30K miles and when I started it up the engine light was on. I have since driven it from Florida to Alaska and put on another 3-4K miles without any problems. I've had to replace the battery so disconneting that didn't work. That light is annoying!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Casper50
Veteran
Default RE: Reset MIL

You have toleave the battery disconnected for at least15 minutes. If that still doesn't work then go to your local auto parts store, that does diagnostic scans for free like Auto Zone if you have them up there, and have them pull the code tell you what it isand then erase it.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 PM
luvmydak
Veteran

Something else you could try: disconnect NEG batt. cable, turn ignition toSTART and hold for 15-20 sec.(PCM reset)Then reconnect batt. cable and see MIL light is out. If this doesn't work, have a scan done at a shop you trust.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 AM
AlaskaMan

I finally got a chance to try your suggestions Casper50 & luvmydak. Thanks for the suggestions; however, no luck. Unfortunately there are no Auto Zones or other auto stores that will do a free diagnostic scan, that I am aware of in Alaska, so I guess I'll just have to take it to a local garage if the MIL light continues to bug me.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:52 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

I've taken mine to sears, if they dont find anything wrong they dont charge you, do you have a Sears where you are? My family's always gone to sears for engine check lights and battery related stuff.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:45 PM
AlaskaMan

Thanks Jimmy, good idea. Next time I'm in Anchorage I'll have them check it out. However, since it's not really a problem, just an annoyance and Anchorage is a five hour drive each way it'll have to wait until I have to make a trip for up there for some other reason.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
02wrangler
Professional

Hey alaskaman,
I'm up here in Alaska as well. Look for a Schuck's Autoparts store, they are just about everywhere, same thing as an auto-zone or Advanced auto parts. They will do a free diagnostic scan for you.

Quick Reply: Reset MIL