Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Scarab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Slip

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 Quad Cab with Cummins and automatic transmission. The truck had 10,000 miles on it now and for as long as I can remember when the truck is cold and you put it into drive you really have to rev up the engine to get it to move. After about 5 seconds of warming up no more slip. I spoke to the dealer and they said it was normal. Any thoughts? Also, I usually put it into drive now and wait a couple of seconds before taking off. No slip that way. I checked the fluid level and it is full. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
usafr
All Star
Default RE: Transmission Slip

Idont think thats normal, since mine has 15.5 k and has never done that.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

It is normal for it to do this after sitting for a day or so as the fluid drains back out of the torque converter and the trans pump does not pump fluid back into it in Park. This is why you should never idle in Park for more then 10 minutes as it can burn up your trans as a Dodge Torque Flight type trans has never pumped fluid in Park.

If I leave mine setting for a day or two it can take 20 seconds or so before it will move if I drop it in gear just after starting it up and its cold outside. All I do is put it in N and wait for 20 second or so put it in gear and it moves just fine. FYI, you can Read about this on page 263 in your 2006 Dodge owners manual.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I've always said "if reading is involved, screw it." so far so good.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Jakebrake,
I just wanted every one to know I was not BSing them nor was I making it up about the trans not moving if it has sat for a day or more because many don’t know that the fluid will drain out of the torque converter. Also a lot of people still don't know that a stock Dodge trans will not pump fluid in Park. I felt if they can look it up in the manual then they can verify what I posted was true.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Scarab

Thanks. I will no longer let my truck idle in park. What about in nuetral?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

The big N is OK as that is gear where I warm mine up. The pump in the trans will work in all gears including Nuetral but not in Park. IIRC all it has to say in owners manual is to not idle for more then I think 10 minutes in Park becasue of the turbo and they forget to tell you that you could hurt your tourque converter if left idling to long in Park.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Mine was sort of doing this but it turned out to be a bit of Turbo lag. I would hit the gas and the truck would not really get moving until the RPMs passed about 1300. Most likely though it sounds like your problem is the TC with no fluid (as described by others).

Old 02-14-2007, 08:11 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

so this is on the new ones? or on all dodges?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

If your talking about the fluid not pumping fluid in Park then yes it applies to all Dodge's with a torqueflight type trans.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slip