Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Speedometer trouble on 2001 Caravan

Old 07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Patriot Blue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer trouble on 2001 Caravan

Just purchased a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport. The speedometer needle is stuck below the small white pin. The mechanic says he will have to tear the dashboard apart to fix it and then there are no guarantees. If that doesn't work, he will get a new dashboard from a junk yard, but then my odometer will be different. Is there any other way to fix a speedometer needle?
Thanks for your input!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Goofy173
Rookie
Default RE: Speedometer trouble on 2001 Caravan

IT all depends on how much trouble you want to go to. I'm not completely convinced that the whole dash would have to come out but the possibility exists. A much cheaper way is to drill a small hold near the pin. Insert a small spring hook or something small shaped like a J and pull the pointer over the pin. I give it an 80% chance that the speedometer will be off. It may work enough though that you can calibrate it by traveling on a marked road at 60 mph that has marks every mile. Then you can mark on the plastic face where 60 mph is. Then do the same at 30 mph.

For the needle to be where it is, something is very wrong. As far as an odometer difference, a drill motor with the right bit may get you back to the correct mileage. Otherwise if you ever sell the vehicle, you'll be required to have the title changed to show the odometer is incorrect and that will drop the value of it quite a bit as it's just your word as to what the real mileage is. If you do that, take a picture of both odometers side-by-side to give some sort of proof that you're not lying.

After saying that, it makes me wonder if someone did that that your 2001 and ran it backwards which if they go to fast, will knock the needle over the pin. If you haven't ran a carfax report on it you might want to to check the real mileage. I'm assuming laws are nearly the same around the country but in Indiana it is a crime to give an incorrect mileage if it's not documented on the title.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
CommNavRizzo

This is my first time posting to these forums...I came looking here for a solution to the same problem Patriot Blue has. Unfortunately, it looks as if there isn't an easy solution. My wife said she took the van to get it vaccuumed out and when she started it back up she noticed the speedometer on the wrong side of the peg.

Our's is a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport with just under 100K. I figured I would post this here just as another instance of this problem, and to receive any additional comments that might come around.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that my lighting behind my fuel gauge also went out at the very same time I had my speedometer problem. Does anyone think that this may have a connection? Where is the fuse that controls this lighting? I couldn't find anything under the hood in the fuse box, but maybe I missed it.

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

This usually happens after the battery has gotten weak and while the engine tries to start the guages wrap around and the speedo stays there. The only way to fix it right is to take the cluster out and turn it upside down and follow the needle back until it rests on the right side of the peg/

Old 02-15-2007, 06:14 PM
stonebraker

I own a 2001 T&C with the same problem.I believe mine happened when I used the remote start on a below zero morning and the van wouldn't start. Taking it to Chrysler dealer for an estimate tonight. Sound like it might cost some $$$. Was hoping to find a cheaper fix. Anyone?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:49 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

My previous post is the only way to fix it, you could do it yourself. should only take about a half hour.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
GC_Sport

No, no, no! Don't replace the cluster or drill holes or pull apart the dash! it's much simpler than that! I just had that same problem start on Sunday for me. The speedometer wasn't working on the way to church and now my wife just reminded me about it again tonight. So I checked out some other sites and noticed people were having problems with the spedo due to the battery and battery acid leaking. So I checked mine right away. I replaced the battery and then checked the spedo, still same problem. The needle was below the little pin and would not go.... so I started looking at the dash and how to take it apart. Well, fortunatley, not that hard! I pushed the trip button and held it for about 10 seconds, don't know whyI did it, but I did. So after holding the trip button for awhile, I saw an error code come up and read error code check, it went through a slew of numbers... (i.e., 6666666666, 777777777, 11111111, EEEEEEEEEE, and 0000000000 to end it off I believe). After all the numbers displayed then the lights lit up and went through a little sequence and then all the sqares lit up around each gear on the shift part of the dash and then all the lights went off. I then turned the ignition on and the spedo needle reset. It bounced back around where it was supposed to shot straight up and then laid back where it supposed to be and is fine. I drove around for awhile to make sure it's working and everything is great!
Soooo, don't tear your dash apart or drill holes! Just replace the battery, make sure to clean the connectors really well as it sounds like these Caravans have an issue with a lot of corrosion on the connectors. That was definitely the case with mine. Cleaned them well, put in WalMart's top of the line battery and then did the reset as explained above. All is well.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 PM
vlmuke
Professional

GC_Sport are you talking about the battery uner the hood? or is there one in the dash for the odometer I am a little confused sounds like you talking the main battery? is this correct

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM
kaatwalker

GC_Sport
You are right on! It worked like a charm. The only thing that I wasn't clear about was that the ignition key should be turned off when the trip button is pressed. Did it and the light show began. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
harrycat

ORIGINAL: GC_Sport

No, no, no! Don't replace the cluster or drill holes or pull apart the dash! it's much simpler than Well, fortunatley, not that hard! I pushed the trip button and held it for about 10 seconds, don't know whyI did it, but I did. So after holding the trip button for awhile, I saw an error code come up and read error code check, it went through a slew of numbers... (i.e., 6666666666, 777777777, 11111111, EEEEEEEEEE, and 0000000000 to end it off I believe).
Thankyou ,Thankyou GC_Sport!!!! You wre right on!!!
I've stopped running to the repair shops and start with the net first and this is the second time in a row that this forum saved my butt and stress levels.
DaveP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer trouble on 2001 Caravan