3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Error Code- P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Error Code- P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

What the heck does this code mean?

P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

It's on '03 Ram Quad Cab w/ the 5.7 Hemi

Thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 12:17 AM
glock45
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Error Code- P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

Looking online its a generic code that usually means a hose is loose or broken from your evap system or canister.

Maybe a quick inspection of your hoses will reveal one loose or broken / crimped.

Here is a link that may help diagram the issue and help guide you on what to check?

EVAP CODE BLUES

Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Default RE: Error Code- P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

That diagram gives me a clue as to what to look for.....kinda...lol. Looks like I'll have to climb over and under to see if anything looks out of place. I also read that it could be the gas cap. I'll take a look for both. Thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

a gas cap will 99.9% of the time result in a EVAP system leak, not an incorrect purge...make sure when u fill-up u click the gas cap 3 times...check over all the hoses, if cant find anything thenuse a smoke machine and fill the EVAP system with smoke and then use a blacklight and look for a place that smoke is coming out of that it shouldnt

Old 02-21-2007, 10:53 PM
cg

I had the same code in my 03 Hemi and it was the gas cap.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

If the gas cap doesn't cure it, crawl under the drivers side just behind the cab, the charchol canister and connection hoses are there. If any are loose or cracked or even seem like they might leak, replace them. This has been an ongoing annoying little problem that seems to crop up after the truck is a couple of years old. This summer I intend to replace mine with silicone hoses. Mine has seen a lot of salt and slushy snowy roads this year and I suspect it will be my turn soon.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:26 PM
dynabagger

So I just had a look for the canister and found it's not easy to get access to the plumbing or see close up for that matter as the fuel tank is in the way. Looks like there's a guard to the right of the fuel tank and canister that prevents access from that side. I assume the guard has to be removed?

Before I attempt to go any further I'm going to check if this is covered under the powertrain warranty. It's my feeling that it should be. Does anybody know?

Keith

Old 12-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

If you put your key in the ignition. turn it to the point before you hit the starter, then go back to where you put the key in ,but don't take the key out .Now do this three times and it should show you what code is flashing ,write it down and tell the dealer what you found. The code will appear where your speedometer is. This works on my PT cruiser so I guess it should work on a Dodge too.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
railman87

About every 6 months I have to take and clean the rubber O-ring on the gas cap and then lubericate it with either dielectric grease or vaseline. After that, the trouble light goes away.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 AM
GrumpBobby

This exact issue (hose on the evap canister cracked) snafu'd my smog cert.. had the mech stumped he was sure it was a gas cap issue. So glad it could be resolved without going down to a dealer

Quick Reply: Error Code- P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow