Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Serpentine Belt

Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 AM
grand9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt

2000 Grand Caravan 3.3 with 175,000. About 10,000 miles ago my wife had the serpintine belt blown off in a downpour/puddle. Replaced belt, and the very next the van went through a puddle (not a big one either) the belt came off again. Now it's happened a 3rd time. Tensioner seems ok. Is this common? Any suggestions?

Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 AM
webbee
Professional
Default RE: Serpentine Belt

Common problem on all DC engine platforms. Either the tensioner or the idler pulley bearings (or both) are probably bad.
Fix is replace with MOPAR or NAPA parts. Some people are saying that the new $tealer belts are a bit to large so only NAPA, Gates, Dayco or Goodyear Gatorbacks should be used. There is a field kit by Goodyear that has all 3 parts. The pulleys are grooved, as well as both sides of the belt. This kit is for the 3.0 only. Sometime after Dec 1, 06 the same kit will be available for the 3.3/8 series engines. This kit solves the problem on 3.0 engines completely.
Given the mileage on your vehicle I would put both idler and tensioner on, as well as your choice of new belt. Also make sure the splash shield is installed to keep some of the water out of these parts. After these new parts are installed there shouldn't be any alignment issues. If problems persist then you will have to spray water on each pulley and see which one throws the belt. Replace as necessary.
Some mechanics say these 3 parts should be changed with every belt change.
Apparently these parts are normal maintenance items, like brake shoes.

As always, good luck with your project!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
grand9

Hi Webbee,
Thanks for the advice and quick response. The splashguard is in good shape so the next step is to take your advice and get to work.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Goofy173
Rookie

Usually the tensioner is bent and since it has no walls to keep the belt in place, that's where the belt pops off.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:04 AM
Matthew_B

Any idea where the kit will be sold? NAPA?

DW's Voyager has done this twice now. It did it two years ago several times in a row. I replaced the belt and idler - the idler was noticably bent. I can't see anything out of line now, but it has done it twice in about two weeks. Both times it was after she went through standing water. I was going to try with a belt first, but if this kit is available, I'm up for putting it in.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
BNtune
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Matthew_B

Any idea where the kit will be sold? NAPA?

DW's Voyager has done this twice now. It did it two years ago several times in a row. I replaced the belt and idler - the idler was noticably bent. I can't see anything out of line now, but it has done it twice in about two weeks. Both times it was after she went through standing water. I was going to try with a belt first, but if this kit is available, I'm up for putting it in.
Try using a belt a few mm shorter.
Same issue drove a friend crazy and this shorter belt has worked. This though was a 3.0
My mother in law had this issue some time ago on a older 3.3 and we did the same also.
Worth a try.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Here is the TSB from DCX on this issue that has been out for some time.

NO: 07-02-99
SUBJECT: Serpentine Belt Slips Off Idler Pulley
DATE: June 14, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the bracket that the idler pulley attaches to.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.3L OR 3.8L ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Loss of power steering assist and occurs when driving through deep snow or standing water. Snow or rain can enter the engine compartment from underneath the vehicle and force the serpentine belt off of the idler pulley.

DIAGNOSIS:
Visually inspect the serpentine belt and idler pulley to determine if mis-alignment exists (If the serpentine belt is off the pulleys install the serpentine belt). Start the engine and let it run for one minute before checking alignment). The belt should be approximately 2mm (0.08 in.) from the inboard edge of the idler pulley (Figure 1) when alignment is correct and this bulletin does not apply. If the belt and pulley appear as in Figure 2, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 04612412 Bracket, Engine Mount
AR (1) 04861322 Belt, Serpentine

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.

Remove the serpentine belt from around the idler pulley by rotating the tensioner clockwise (Figure 3).
Remove the purge duty cycle solenoid and wiring harness from the right side engine mount.
Remove the two right side engine mount insulator vertical fasteners and loosen the horizontal fastener. DO NOT remove the large nut in the center of the core of the insulator (Figure 4).
Remove the load on the engine mount by carefully supporting the engine with a floor jack.
Remove the vertical and horizontal fasteners from the engine side bracket. Remove the engine mount assembly.
Remove the idler pulley from the engine mounting bracket. (Figure 3).
Remove the engine mounting bracket
Install a new engine mounting bracket. Torque the fasteners to 40-68 Nm (30-50 ft lbs.).
Install the idler pulley to the engine mounting bracket. Torque the fastener to 40-68 Nm (30-50 ft lbs.)
Properly route and position a serpentine belt onto all pulleys except the idler pulley (Use a new belt if there is any evidence of damage to the original one).
Rotate the belt tensioner clockwise until the belt can be installed onto the idler pulley. Slowly release the belt tensioner.
Install the engine mount; torque the assembly in the following order, engine mount to rail fasteners 68 Nm (50 ft. lbs.), vertical fastener 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.), and horizontal fastener 150Nm (111 ft. lbs.).
Install the purge duty cycle solenoid to the engine mount.
Start the vehicle and let it run for one minute then turn the engine off.
Verify the serpentine belt is properly aligned (Figure 1).
If the serpentine belt has moved toward the outboard edge of the idler pulley, further diagnosis will be required.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:53 PM
zum_23

This is right off the Gates Belt site

Micro-V Kit for Belt Jump Off
When an “Unfixable” becomes “Fixable”

Once in awhile a design comes along that can test your wits.
Take the Chrysler 3.0L engine found on 1996 - 2000 Voyager, Grand Voyage, Caravan and Grand Caravan mini vans. The serpentine belt can come off the drive when the vehicle is driven into a deep puddle of water or through a snow bank. And when the belt comes off , your customer can be left stranded.

Solutions range from installation of a “snow shield” or adjustment of the front engine mounts to changing the belt, tensioner and idler. Too often the problem
persists leading to come-backs and damage to the technician’s reputation and customer good-will.

A better solution has been developed by Gates engineers. The Micro-V System Solution Kit includes a double sided Micro-V belt, a grooved idler pulley and matching tensioner which includes a grooved pulley. Each of the components are designed to work precisiely with other parts in the system and offer a true solution.

The pulley grooves and belt ribs of Gates System Solution Kit lock together making it virtually impossible for the belt to jump off the drive. Even misalignment problems can be solved. The “unfixable” now becomes “fi xable” thanks to Gates

Old 02-20-2007, 02:54 PM
gmarek

Thanks zum_23 for the info on the Gates Belt kit. I found this website about a month ago because my wife's 2000 Dodge Caravan has had the belt jump off at least 5 or 6 times over the last 2 or 3 years. She had reached the point of panic everytime it rained. I gave the Gates information to our mechanic, and he was able to order the kit for us. Gates just put these on the market on 2/1/07, so we were one of the first to give it a try. We had the kit installed yesterday; our mechanic charged us about $175 for the kit & another $90 for labor, taxes, etc., but that was a bargain for my wife's peace of mind. Our mechanic is convinced this is a permanent fix, since the grooved pullies & belt prevent any slippage. The mechanic was happy to find this solution, since they have other customers with the same problem & they can now offer them a permanent fix to the problem.

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
webbee
Professional

These part numbers were posted on another forum for the field repair kits:
Gates Fix kit info:
1996-2000 3.0L V6 = 38342K
1996-2000 3.3L/3.8L V6 = 38379K.
Goodyear
1996-2000 3.0L V6 engine = 49204K
1996-2000 3.3/3.8 V6 engine = 49215K

Edit to add:
I think NAPA uses the Gates part numbers for their house brand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt