3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Trouble, High Idle

Old 02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
jjrush52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Trouble, High Idle

I'm having trouble with my '04 quad cab ram.
It's got 55k miles on it. I've only had the truck for about 6 months but that's 3 months out of a 3month/3000 mile used truck warranty.

The truck has seemed to run real well. Before, it would crank and when warm would idle down to around the 600-800 RPM range but this past weekend it started idling at at least above 1000 RPM. Not only that, but instead of warming up and dropping, it will sit at 1200 for let's say, 30 seconds and then will increase to 1500 RPMs. It won't drop from there. It's way too high. I can put it in drive, take my foot off and head down the road with no gas going 25 MPH.

I'm a shade tree mechanic at best but I don't know where to go from here. If it's not transmission troubles yet, I think it's going to cause some. It's downshifting a little hard when I come to a stop because the engines running so high. shifting from Park to Neutral, Reverse, or Drive seems to be killer on the transmission.

I had a cold air intake on it for awhile but have taken it off and replaced the factory resonator and filter box. I've reset the computer a couple of times during the whole process but it's still struggling. In fact, I had a check engine light last night but paniced and reset the computer before i read the code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
J

Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 PM
kregier
Veteran
Default RE: Truck Trouble, High Idle

Does it run smooth other than that? Did you check the IAC? I'm having similar issues with mine because it seems to ice up all the time.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
usnfirefighter
Professional

This might sound stupid, but when you put the factory box back in, did you check to see if there was anything blocking the flow of air. a buddy of mine submerged his truck. When we pulledoff the filter, he put a rag over the intake to make sure nothing got in. Buthe forgot to take the rag out out and put the filter over it. Just my $0.02.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I have a piece of crap saturn that I drive to work and mine does something similar. From a few people I have talked to, they say it might be related to the throttle position sensor.
You may want to that out. It may be sensing the pedal is being pressed and idle up.

Just a thought......

Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
jjrush52

I haven't checked my Throttle body. I did see my IAT and it looked fine. I got another CEL so I checked the code and came up with a P0507:

P0507 Idle Control System RPM Higher Than Expected

This may sound really intelligent but, NO DUH. I was hoping a code would help, not rediagnose what I knew already.
Can anybody help?

J

Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
CatchMyDrift05
Rookie

Its called "Idle Searching"... It is a problem on alot of vehicles, it just needs time to re-set... I know i've posted this before for most of everyone's electrical problems but here it is again:
"Disconnect your negative wire from your battery for 10mins + and see if that resets it."
This should work, if not check your sensors (ie.MAF)

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to let us know what engine package you're running. My guess is that you may have a vacuum leak, or you may have a crudded up throttle body. The 5.7 TB is drive by wire, to clean it, it must be removed and treated very delicately. DO NOT for the butterflies or you'll damage the TB. The 4.7 is cable connected and can be cleaned in place. If this continues, hopefully it will throw additional codes, if this is a 5.7, there is also a gas pedal sensor that may need to be calibrated. All this info is available in the FSM which is available free as a download for 2003-present from the "Merry Christmas" sticky above.
ORIGINAL: jjrush52

I'm having trouble with my '04 quad cab ram.
It's got 55k miles on it. I've only had the truck for about 6 months but that's 3 months out of a 3month/3000 mile used truck warranty.

The truck has seemed to run real well. Before, it would crank and when warm would idle down to around the 600-800 RPM range but this past weekend it started idling at at least above 1000 RPM. Not only that, but instead of warming up and dropping, it will sit at 1200 for let's say, 30 seconds and then will increase to 1500 RPMs. It won't drop from there. It's way too high. I can put it in drive, take my foot off and head down the road with no gas going 25 MPH.

I'm a shade tree mechanic at best but I don't know where to go from here. If it's not transmission troubles yet, I think it's going to cause some. It's downshifting a little hard when I come to a stop because the engines running so high. shifting from Park to Neutral, Reverse, or Drive seems to be killer on the transmission.

I had a cold air intake on it for awhile but have taken it off and replaced the factory resonator and filter box. I've reset the computer a couple of times during the whole process but it's still struggling. In fact, I had a check engine light last night but paniced and reset the computer before i read the code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
J

Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 PM
jjrush52

Thanks everybody for the hand.

Gone fishin, I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the "merry Christmas" sticky above. Am I missing something?

Again, thanks, I hope we can narrow this down soon. I'm going to quit driving it as it seems to really be abusing my tranny.

J

Oh, sorry, It's the 4.7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Trouble, High Idle