2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dodge stalling when put in gear

Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 AM
daytona43
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge stalling when put in gear

I have a 95 dodge ram 5.2 that the converter locks in gear and stalls when put in gear . I changed converter and trainey with a grand cherokee and i still have the problem.any ideas?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Default RE: dodge stalling when put in gear

From the FSM:

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH (TCC)
The torque converter clutch is hydraulically applied and is released when fluid is vented from the hydraulic circuit by the torque converter control (TCC) solenoid on the valve body. The torque converter clutch is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The torque converter clutch engages in fourth gear, and in third gear under various conditions, such as when the O/D switch is OFF, when the vehicle is cruising on a level surface after the vehicle has warmed up.

If what you're thinking is actually happening (TCC is constantly engaged) ... if it's not the tranny or TC ... all that's left is the PCM and the associated cabling.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:50 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Any chance the engine idle needs to be turned up a bit? Grand Ch's take the same tranny as a half ton Ram? No sugar, I didn't know. Do the Durangos or Dakotas have them too?

If it is the PCM, unhook the battery cables, and then turn something on like the 4 way flashers. It will force the electrical system to dump any capacitance. Then reconnect the battery making sure the connections are as clean as possible. See if that makes any difference. Make sure the tranny wiring harnesses are plugged in completely. Sometimes a tab breaks off from prior service, and the wiring works itself loose.

And are you getting any codes? Like 37 maybe?

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 AM
daytona43

I unplugged everthing electrical going to transmission the problem stopped for a short period of time and then it started locking up again

Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Are you getting any DTC codes?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
daytona43

i got it wrong both the electrical and vaccume lines were unplugged and no change there are no codes

Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
kikidbird
Veteran

I have the same problem, on idle she runs fine, when I shift into any gear she idles hard and then stalls out. I have tried bumping up the idle set screw and still no change. Im lost!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 AM
daytona43

someone mentioned that the tranny cooler might be clogged and affected the torque converter anyone know anything about that

Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Tranny cooler check valve ... located in the high pressure line ... should have an arrow on it. They can jam up and cause overheating problems but not much else (like that's not bad enough).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dodge stalling when put in gear