3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did you undercoat your new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:07 PM
gsdpwd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you undercoat your new truck?

Was wondering if I should get my truck undercoated. I have heard conflicting ideas about this, that the new trucks dont need it and it could actually make the truck rust faster, and I have also heard to do it. So what do you think? Did you undercoat your truck and if so how much did it cost and where did you get it done?

Thanks for you opinions in advance...

Old 03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
DelawareDon
Professional
Default RE: Did you undercoat your new truck?

No undercoating here....ever! In my opinion, it's a huge waste of money....plus that's what you have a rust-through warranty for.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated above. Don't do it. Red

Old 03-10-2007, 10:37 PM
djr04
All Star

No I did not, although my mechanic friend did as soon as he got his new dodge diesel

Old 03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
cr80renob
Captain

Don't need to.....Live in Az

Old 03-18-2007, 05:32 PM
eds2003ram
Professional

I live in the north east and as you may know ,the township loves to spread that dam salt like if there's no tommorow. I have had 3 vehicles undercoated in the past 25 years and have nothing bad to say about doing it to my cars except for the mess. Each car is different because of the space between the parts on the undercarrage and you may have to cover up some parts before having it done.. Last month was the first time I had it done to a truck and my only advice is to make sure you get someone responsable who can cover up your rims ,exaust tranny, engine , rear and leaf springs. My biggest problem was the overspray on to my exaust and mags. Don't undercoat your suspention cause it will squeek. If you live in areas like mine your truck is prone to rust more than in the warm sothern states. Up here it is worth it . Dodge only gives the 3/30k rust warrenty and I assure that the undercoat goes way beyound that. Some guys are against it but I beleave in preventive maintanace. And no it does not make it rust faster. The undercoating I used was of tar/sylaconebase and there is no way any type water or other elements were getting past it. My 25 year old crown vic still has its undercoating and has zero rust in the areas covered.Hope this helps

Old 03-18-2007, 06:40 PM
tailgatedrinkin
Professional

i agree with eds2003ram, if you live in an area that is prone to rust then you should get it done. with me being in oklahoma theres no need for it. i have a 87 k5 blazer and it has hardly any rust on it at all

Old 03-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it myself on my new Ram. I did it more for sound and because I could.
It does make me feel all warm and fuzzy that I did all that I could on a new $40K+ truck. Its been about a year now and it still looks new under the truck. I live in the Central Pa and the salt and cinders are spread by the ton per square foot.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did on mine also. I live in northern IN where we get lots of lake effect snows, plus I drive an hour North where the truck gets blasted all the way by LOTS of salt--continuously. I feel that if there is anything I can do to help my truck survive the weather here, I'll do it. I had it done before I picked it up, and then checked and touched up 6 mos later. So far---so good

Old 03-19-2007, 12:02 AM
bohoram
Professional

I have heard too many people say that if water gets under the undercoating, rust starts and very quickly spreads. Plus if the undercoating is applied over a bit of moisture or dirt that can also cause rust. I never had it done only because I get a new truck every 3 years.

Quick Reply: Did you undercoat your new truck?