Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Clock Spring Failure

2001 Durango - Here's the process of what happened:

-Radio controls on steering wheel began to work intermittently
-Air bag light came on when making sharper turns
-Radio controls stopped working altogether
-Air bag light is on all the time now
-No cruise control (and no horn I assume)

I've read that this problem is related to the failure of the clock spring? I'd like to know if this is a repair worth undertaking myself, or if I need to leave it to the dealer. I've done my own repairs before, but the whole air bag scenario scares me a bit, as accidentally setting it off would be really bad news (as well as faling to reinstall it properly).

How much does this part cost? and What is really involved in replacing it? Also feel free to let me know if I'm thinking in the wrong direction!

I understand there have been clock spring recalls for other year models, but I've seen nothing for the 2001. My truck has also experienced a temporary loss of blinkers/radio power from something related to the key/ignition sticking, but is not a chronic problem and is likely unrelated (unless someone knows otherwise; but I figured it'd be worth mentioning).

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Clock Spring Failure

It sounds like a bad CTM to me. [&:]

Old 03-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Dango85
Rookie

If it were the CTM, wouldn't I see other electrical problems unrelated to the steering wheel? I'll certainly keep the CTM in mind as I try to diagnose this.

Everything seems related to moving the steering wheel (as the controls worked/stopped working depending on how the wheel was positioned - right up until total failure of all buttons/controls and the constant illumination of the Air Bag light on the dash). By no cruise control, I mean no indicator light for activation/deactivation, which tells me the signal from the buttons is not going anywhere (just like the steering wheel's stereo controls not working either).

Would a bad CTM throw back a code from the computer?

Thanks for your input!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

its the clock spring the ctm is a computer and yes it also would tell other computers that it has gone crazy

Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Dango85
Rookie

Does anyone know if this is a straightforward replacement and safe to do myself?

Computer also spits out code: P1596, which is described as "speed control switch always high"

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same exact problem, and had clock spring replaced. Not sure if it can be done by the consumer. I think it may involve removing the steering wheel and possibly the airbag assembly to get to the clock spring. So if you are not a well seasoned mechanic, I would take it to someone that knows how to do repair it properly.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 PM
tpetty

i wouldnt suggest taking it on yourself. How ever you might find that a body shop will do it cheaper that a dealer service departmant as our rates are controlled largly by insurance companies they tend to be half what dealer service departments charge. There is also a wiring harness there that could have failed. Did you have any alignment issues prior to the problem that would have required someone doing an alignment on the truck?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Clock Spring Failure