2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best way to clean Fuel Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
morrgriff
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to clean Fuel Injectors?

Thinking I need to clean out my fuel injectors. Anyone ever do this?? How is the best method and cleaning solvent to use??

Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 01:38 AM
whiteram00
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best way to clean Fuel Injectors?

grab you a bottle of fuel injecter cleaner, i use valvoline synthetic fuel injecter cleaner,does good for me

Old 03-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it works a bit better too if you put it in while the tanks about empty right before you fill it up.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:34 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best cheap way I have found is to buy one bottle each of:
Techron Concentrate Plus
Mopar fuel injector cleaner
Napa Auto Parts 'Kleen' two bottle pack

and then put them in your next 4 tanks of gasoline.

For the highly effective but more expensive way
Steve Dulcich likes this machine:

http://www.asnu.com/asnu01.htm

which can clean and test 8 injectors at a time.
There is an added advantage to this, because after testing you can install the highest flowing injectors in cylinders 7 and 8, which in most 5.2/5.9 V8s need a richer mixture to keep from pinging.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 PM
2 Marks
Professional

My Dodge dealer has a device that bypassed the fuel intake so special cleaning agents can be run through the injectors (probably the one listed above). It's costs about $80 to service. Personally, I run Lucas Fuel Treatment and at every oil change (3k) I run a solvent based cleaner through the tank with hopes that it keeps the in-tank fuel filter clean.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:15 PM
js1500tex

1500 V6 3.9L FI
I had a huge problem with my truck. I kept getting misfire errors, and a fuel bank too lean. At first thought maybee it had something to do with the plugs and spark plug wires. Yeh they needed to be swapped out any way, although no change in the ****ty gas mileage. I put a new coil in, recomendations of a buddy ,although it had passed the check out in the haynes manual. No difference. Then I decided to get into it. I pulled the Valve covers, throttle body, fuel rail and all the injectors. I broke down the throttle body ( not much to it ) cleaned it up real good. I used a can of throttle body cleaner in this by itself.Air Intake Controller is was practically closed with so much carbon. Cleaned it & Set it aside. I relived the pressure on the fuel rail then pulled out the 4 bolts holding it on to the Intake. Sprayed a buch of carb cleaner in the Air Intakeand touched it up with Q tipsthen vacumed it out with the shop vac . All the injectors came out the O ring kit was $2.00 at Auto Zone. Cleaned all the injectors sprayed carb cleaner in each one from both sides and hit the tops & bottoms with a Q-tip. Greased the injectors & the new o rings with some vasoline ( germans call it weiner slider ). Cleaned the ports on the fuel rail same method Q-tips and Carb cleaner. Went ahead and cleaned around the valves and spiffed up the valve covers. Before I put the fuel rail back on, I blew it out real good to make sure there was no Q-tip fuzz on anything else. End result better gas mileage and no more error codes. Spent about 10 buck and took around 3 hours with the boys helping. 1 can throttle body cleaner, 1 can carb cleaner, 1 small box q-tips, & O-ring kit......Hopefully this helps J

Old 03-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best way to clean injectors is to use a sonic cleaner. Look for a jewelery sonic cleaner at Wal Mart, Sam's, or some other kind of store. The basket has to be large enough to hold the injector. Mineral spirits work well as a solvent. Just fill the reservoir with the solvent, dunk the injector, and let the cleaner run its cycle. Three of my eight injectors were clogged when I rebuilt my engine, and I had a friend who owns a jewelery store clean them. They looked brand new and have been trouble free since. From that point on, I run a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner and lubricant about once per month through my engine.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 PM
PILOTGUY

I like Sea Foam the best. I pick mine up at Autozone. I use it in the fuel tank as well as the crank case. Every "Real" mechanic that I have ever talked to swears by it.

1998 1500 QC 4x4 5.9
139,000 and going strong.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Teggy_Boy

I am 18 years old and no where near a "real mechanic" but boy will I SWEAR by Sea-Foam! ^^^

Just pop off a vacuum line, pour some sea-foam in a cup, have your friend work the throttle so the motor doesn't stall, and keep dipping the vacuum line into the cup. After you've used almost all of the sea-foam in the can, pour what's left in the cup, tell your friend to stop working the throttle, and dunk the vacuum line into the cup, letting the motor stall itself out (hopefully). After it stalls let it sit for a good 10-20 minutes, depending on how long you're willing to wait. Start the vehicle up (it might take a few moments). After it's started rev the motor to red line, then 4k, then 3k, etc... Then rev to red line a few times. Keep revving the motor until no more smoke/soot is pouring out the exhaust and PRESTO! Your ****'s clean! (Make sure you re-connect the vacuum line; I prefer to use the vacuum line on the brake booster as it seems to have the most vacuum)

Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

... and this procedure cleans the injectors how?

Quick Reply: Best way to clean Fuel Injectors?