2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

TRANSMISSION WANT SHIFT INTO OVERDRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
OPEN4FUN6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANSMISSION WANT SHIFT INTO OVERDRIVE

I have a 97 Dakota, I can drive it (stop and go) for about 10-15 miles and it shifts fine. Then it will start down shifting very hard out of overdrive. It will down shift sometimes at 60mph when i let off the gas. Sometimes it will shift back into overdrive at 45mph but most of the time when it downshifts hard it will not shift back.All the other gears shift fine, just the high gear.You can run the rpm up to what every you want to and let off the gas and it will not shift no matter what. I have changed the fluid and filterand it does the same thing. I have rebuilt engines but never worked on transmissions. Please someone give me any ideas to fix this problem. I dont have the money to take it to a shop.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 PM
300exoh
Rookie
Default RE: TRANSMISSION WANT SHIFT INTO OVERDRIVE

ORIGINAL: OPEN4FUN6

I have a 97 Dakota, I can drive it (stop and go) for about 10-15 miles and it shifts fine. Then it will start down shifting very hard out of overdrive. It will down shift sometimes at 60mph when i let off the gas. Sometimes it will shift back into overdrive at 45mph but most of the time when it downshifts hard it will not shift back.All the other gears shift fine, just the high gear.You can run the rpm up to what every you want to and let off the gas and it will not shift no matter what. I have changed the fluid and filterand it does the same thing. I have rebuilt engines but never worked on transmissions. Please someone give me any ideas to fix this problem. I dont have the money to take it to a shop.
Try lubing the shift cable (kick down cable) and linkage on the left side of the trans. Mine was frozen after sitting for a while and the trans would not shift.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM
tufrthnails

Try your local autozone. Mine will loan a code reader. You may be able to finds out that way. I have had similar probs with a ranger. It was a wheel speed sensor on top of the rear end.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

i wish mine would stay in od... it comes out WAY to often...unless ur going oh 65+

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION WANT SHIFT INTO OVERDRIVE