2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?

Old 04-28-2007, 10:02 PM
thisisrightnow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?

Okay, I've had my 2003 Neon SE for about a year now, and I bought it with roughly 70,000 miles on it.. and now it is nearly 100,000.. probably around 96,000 now though. It runs pretty good for the most part, but there is one thing that annoys me a lot. And I notice it only does it when it starts to get warm out, so right now and in the summer.. it will be at its peak. In the winter or fall, it's not really an issue. Whenever I am sitting at a red light my car shakes a lot. Not like really vigorously but enough to be an annoyance. So sometimes I have to putmy car in park so it won't do that. So when I put it in park, it doesn't do anything, which is really weird to me. And I think it might have a connection to when I am driving on the highway, or faster than 60mph, my steering wheel shakes a lot. I thought it could be power steering fluid but it had plenty. I was told last summer that all 4 of my tires have different tread on them and I would need all new tires and an alignment, but I don't see how tires would effect a car just SITTING there? I was googling stuff and I read it could be my motor mounts? I'm not good with cars, as you can see.. I know how to put oil in, power steering fluid and check to see if my air filter is still good or not. Thats the extent of my knowledge. So if a more knowledgeable person could shed some light, I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:18 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?

motor mounts.

open the hood and inspect to see if they are completely ripped or something. then have someon stand on the side of the car looking into the engine bay. put the car in drive, hold the brake FIRMLY, and give it a little gas. if the engine swings all the way one way, you need new motor mounts. do the same in reverse.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
thisisrightnow
Default RE: Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?

Where would one go about finding where the motor mounts are? Or should I get a book to see where they're at?

Old 04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

when you are looking at the motor from the front, the top one is on the left side. the bottom one is in the same spot but on the bottom of the engine. it would be a big pain to actually see that one, so you can just look at the top one
Name:  203LeftCenterEngineView2.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  124.2 KB

Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

There is one underneath as well. But like you most likely...I don't really have any extraordinary pictures showing it.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:01 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

its the black part you are trying to emphasize right? i'm tryin to check out my motor mounts but have no clue even with that awesome pic lol

Old 04-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Andpto
All Star

the part in the round circle

Old 04-29-2007, 04:33 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i thought so thanks

Old 04-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Kapitald
Captain

hmm....shaking over 60mph and at the red light??? doubt it would be the motor mounts seems how at the red light your stopped and not giving it gas....I would suggest the rack & pinion....but you need 03neonRT to shed some light on ya.....it wouldnt be a fan kicking on either bc you said it does it over 60mph....couldnt be the suspension cuz your sitting at the red light...im definately going with the rack & pinion but I couldnt tell you how to fix it except buy one from advanced auto parts and get a haynes manual....

Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 AM
mike9fore
Veteran

it is very possible that your motor mounts could be going up.....with that many miles on your carit doesnt take long for the stock rubber mounts to tear.....also, if your wheel shakes alot at 60 mph+ check to see if the outside edge of the tire is very worn.....if so, that will give you a rough ride...or it also could mean that you need an alignment check.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car shakes while sitting at red light while in drive, but is fine when its in park?