Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).

Old 05-14-2007, 01:52 PM
nwolfe77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. 3.3 Liter With the VIN R. Automatic Trans (I'm guessing it isa 4-speed).

With no previous transmission problems, the transmission went into Limp Mode. The Check Engine Light came on and I pulled a Code P0755 and P0700. I did some research and found that it was possibly the Shift Solenoid itself that could be the problem. I took it in to a Dodge Dealer this morning and they replaced the Solenoid (Labor and All $385) and indicated to me that everything should be fine.

The tech takes it for a spin, comes back, shakes his head. Check Engine Light is back on withcodes P0731, P0733, P01790. Now it slipsand won't go into first. They want to break into the transmission and see what the problem is, but I am having a hard time believing that a transmission would go from running perfect to completely slipping, overnight, with no warning and the fluid levels and driving habits are good. I changed the fluid and filter about3 months ago ( I had approximately 80,000 on the ODO at the time....now I have 90,000).

I don't know what is going on....is there anyone out there who can help.

Thanks,

Nick

Old 05-14-2007, 05:57 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).

when you changed the filter and fluid please tell us you used ATF+4 and not dexron III ?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
nwolfe77
Default RE: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).

I will tell you with 100% Certainty that I did use ATF+4. Oh by the way....don't use the gasket that comes with an aftermarket kit - totally unnecessary (black RTV is spec).

I was able to get the dealership to refund me the part (not labor)since they said it would fix it but didn't. They told me that 99% of the time, replacing the shift solenoid will fix it. I fall into the 1% where it doesn't.

I'vecontact an independent shopto look at it and he said he would do a more thorough diagnosis than just replacing parts based on trouble codes. Does this sound like a good route to go?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

To bad you didn't go after the P0700 code 1st. P0700 is an internal TCM code and the P0755 is the 2/4 pressure circuit code. A lot of people go after the solenoid pack, in most cases that will fix the problem, But sometimes it will be a wire or a connector problem.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

yep need to have some one that can look at the tranny computer and not just the p codes. The p codes are for any scanner that can read OBD stuff by fed mandate.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM
scottz
Default Caravan or Town and Country with P0700 code

I have a 2002 town and country and I occasionally cycle the key to see if there are any error codes. I was receiving a p1684 for the battery being disconnected but there was no reason for it since the clamps were both clean and tight on the battery. I eventually received the p0700 and the P1684 code and the van went into limp mode. I was told I needed a new TCM so I ordered one on Ebay that was supposed to be preprogrammed for the vehicle. When I installed it I had the same error codes. I ended up spending several days trying to figure out what else could cause the problem but everything pointed to the TCM. I finally had to take it to a tranny shop where they replaced the TCM and the van worked fine since. So be careful when working on the van yourself as a rebuilt part may not work either, and don't take it to Aamco because they will try to get you to pay a couple grand to rebuild your transmission when it isn't needed.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 PM
22dodge
Banned

there's soo much mis-information and speculating.

First, without having a REAL scanner that shows data, you can just spend all day throwing parts at these transmissions is the worst thing to do. I bought a 1999 grand caravan from a local chevy dealer because 'the trans was shot' van in perfect shape but no shift. Their mechanics said the trans was junk and the dealer didn't want to spend the $ for a new trans. I gave them $450 and drove it to my shop in 2nd gear. it took 20 seconds for me to diagnose the problem, 5 minutes to install a used part and I sold it 2 days later for $1500.

As for the dooms day statement that using anything BUT ATF+4 will DESTROY the trans is total garbage. Unless you've rebuilt 100's of these transmissions, you have no personal facts to draw from. Really if this 'magic' fluid was sooooo great, then they should never crap out to begin with. I have never used any fluid other than Dexron in my rebuilds. and gee NEVER had a comback or failure resulting from fluid. The only post rebuild repairs I've had was electrical problems years after the initial service. I have customers running 200,000 miles after my rebuild still using Dexron!!

I don't care if people dis me for my statement, however I know the FACTS behind the chemistry of ATF+3/+4. I personally knew the engineers that came up with the 'secret' ingredients. (I was a service trainer in the mid 90's for Chrysler).

Now back to the problem. with a real scanner you can actuate the solenoids. this will help determine if you have an electrical problem (TCM, wiring, or the solenoids).

Additionally I would do a pressure test to verify all is well internal to the trans.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
alexfbi77

So you mean to use ATF +4 bad or not?
Cause i have only one code P0700 on my 2000 Grand Caravan. but i don't know where to start diging, i replace the Transmission speed sensor $24.00 then drove 1 mile and light come back on. But it's all start here...
On my old trany, the clutch discks wornout so i lookup for other trany on www.car-parts.com i found one with 57K for $1200 with shipping, i putt that trany on, but i didn't putt the torque converter wich came with trany, i putt other torque converter, i bought on e-bay rebuild. But befor i did this, i was still able to drive on old trany with this torque converter, and it was okay till i put them on new trany. So after i putt new trany but with other torque converter, not wich came with, i was able to drive about 120 miles. And about torque converter, diameter is biger, but thiner, and original one diameter smaller and thicker, so any recomendations? please, send me on e mail. bestjetpilot@hotmail.com Thank you.

Last edited by alexfbi77; 09-24-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
22dodge
Banned

Originally Posted by alexfbi77
So you mean to use ATF +4 bad or not?
Cause i have only one code P0700 on my 2000 Grand Caravan. but i don't know where to start diging, i replace the Transmission speed sensor $24.00 then drove 1 mile and light come back on. But it's all start here...
On my old trany, the clutch discks wornout so i lookup for other trany on www.car-parts.com i found one with 57K for $1200 with shipping, i putt that trany on, but i didn't putt the torque converter wich came with trany, i putt other torque converter, i bought on e-bay rebuild. But befor i did this, i was still able to drive on old trany with this torque converter, and it was okay till i put them on new trany. So after i putt new trany but with other torque converter, not wich came with, i was able to drive about 120 miles. And about torque converter, diameter is biger, but thiner, and original one diameter smaller and thicker, so any recomendations? please, send me on e mail. bestjetpilot@hotmail.com Thank you.

Are you from a foreign country and not the US or Canada or UK? because I'm having a hard time decifering your writing.

There are a few different torque converters. 3.0 is different diamter than the 3.3/3.8. but the 3.0 will work on a 3.3/3.8 just the stall speed is slightly different and you use the smaller hole pattern on the flex plate. The other issue, with converters, is that in 1998 the bolt pattern was changed. (I have ways around that issue)

the thickness of the converter? have no idea what you mean by that.

ATF+4 is not bad. I personally don't use it. I have my reasons but I will defer from getting into that debate.

$1200 for a used trans with shipping is rediculous. If you are in North America, you could have had yours rebuilt for much less if you did the r&r.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:43 AM
alexfbi77

Yes im from Ukraine originaly sorry for bad spelling, but i try my best to explain.
The first and main problem with the shipping cost to Alaska, and i can order big parts only through some company's only, like junk yard's and napa auto parts. Ok here is the deal. On my old trany, clutch disks wornout, or start sliping, so i decide to replace with other one, and i did. After i drove about 120 miles Check engine lights came on, so i did check with OBD-II coad reader, and they show me code. P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request) so i did call transmission mechanic, he told me to change Transmission speed sensor, so after i change that sensor i drove another 1 mile and the problem come back. It's in LIMP mode trany won't switch to second gear, just drive on first. So if you know if ATF do that or what? or torque converter? Im shure it's not shift solenoids, cuz after i change to new sensor they drove 1 mile okay, and on the way home, check engine light come back on, and stop switching the gears. If you know what is it means (MIL Request). Thank You. Oh and by the way im talking about 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, with 90.000 Miles on, but trany i bought with 57.000 Miles on them. $800.00 Bucks for trany, and $400.00 Shipping to Alaska. Thank You forward help.

Last edited by alexfbi77; 09-26-2009 at 02:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).