1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango brake upgrade

Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Somnambulist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango brake upgrade

Hey guys what's up?

I've been reading a little on the brake upgrade options for my dad's Durango. He always complains about how bad they are. I was wanting to buy him upgraded rotors and pads and maybe a rear disc conversion for his birthday. I saw Stillen had a very good price on the crossdrilled and slotted rotors and pads. But what is your guys's opinion about the best brake upgrade kit for the front?

Also what about the rear? I definitely either want to get rid of the drum brakes or somehow upgrade them (if that's even possible).

Old 05-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Durango brake upgrade

Just go with ceramic pads and the braking will improve dramatically. If you want to convert the rear to disc the safest way to go is go to a junkyard and pull the rear end off of an 03' model.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Somnambulist

Yeah he's already upgraded to ceramic pads. So crossdrilled and slotted rotors would help I think. Along with some new pads.

I've read it's a straight drop for the 03 rear. How hard is it? Never worked on trucks before, just my little imports. And how much do those things go for? $500 or so?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Mean Green
Champion

I'd hit a junkyard and offer a trade with some $$$. Give them the old rear end amd a few hundred bucks. Also if he wants a little more umph and only has the 3.55's then now would be the time to look for a 3.92 rear end. If he has 4wd you would have to swap the front gears out as well. It should be a straightforward swap though. Cross drilled and slotted rotors wouldn't hurt anything that's for sure though. I would personally love to drop a rear end out of an 03' for the rear disc brakes myself but I stop fine since I got the ceramics. Before that ABS would kick in on hard braking and downhill braking and it drove me nuts I hate the feeling.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Somnambulist

That'd be a good idea too. Save some money.
It is 4WD. Swap front gears out? Like the transmission gears or..?
And why upgrade to the 3.92 rear? Not sure what he has. 2000 Dodge Durango SXT with the Magnum 4.7L V8 4WD..

Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Mean Green
Champion

He probably has the 3.55 gears. If you swapped out the gears to 3.92 it would give him better accelaeration or if he tows with the D then he could tow more weight. There are gears up front in the 4wd just like the rear that is what I was referring to. If you get the same rear end gears as he had before then he wouldn't have to swap out the gearing up front so it all depends on his application and what he wants to get out of the beast.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Somnambulist

Oh ok. He's not into modding or anything. I'm just trying to help him out a little.
How would the different gears affect gas mileage?
Now I'm assuming it might be hard to swap in his original gears into the 03 rear, right?
Anyway. Thanks for the great help.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 AM
kent_08
Rookie

i've been to my friend mechanic and ask him to do some upgrade with my Durango especially on brakes, its kinda worn out so it needs to be replace from brake rotors, brake, dodge brake pads, it's more on baking system..hoping that he'll make it up perfectly.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Mean Green
Champion

It could be a PITA. Find a low mileage D and you could just leave the gears in both axles. As far as the geaing goes I have heard some people get better mileage with them others get worse. It depends if you do more highway it's probably best to stick with the 3.55's if you do a lot of city 3.92's would work out better...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Durango brake upgrade