Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 03:02 PM
millenniumdna
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.

I have been asked alot about why i have a OCC in my car, as sad as it is to say, I jut answer "because its better for the car"

Could someone explain to what its actual preventing or helping?

Old 09-26-2004, 03:23 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker
Default RE: Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.

Seriously - not to be mean, but I have a suggestion. Look into the benifits/drawbacks of a mod you hear is good before doing it yourself. There are a lot of ideas posted on the sites that will destroy a motor or compromise its integrity.

That said - the catch can is a good mod [sm=smiley20.gif]to prolong the life of your turbo and engine and has no drawbacks as far as I have seen.

There are 2 locations for a catch can - on the PCV side and on the crank case vent.

On the PCV side it will prevent oil from entering the intake manifold right in front of the throttle body. This can will prevent oil from going into your cylinders causing carbon fouled plugs and depsoits.

On the crankcase vent, if you have an aftermarket intake, this prevents oil from going directly into your intake then turbo housing where it will burn and make a sticky mess, eventually fouling things up again - like expensive turbine wheels....

Old 09-26-2004, 05:07 PM
dodgerider222
Rookie

Which spot is better for the occ. Which spot will cause more damage?

Old 09-26-2004, 05:31 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

Both spots are good. [sm=smiley20.gif] They serve different purposes.
the PCV is the most important, though - It sees a lot more excess oil.
The crankcase vent is only really necessary if you have an aftermarket intake as on the stock airbox the line goes to a location outside of the intake filter.

The comment about knowing the bene.s/drawbacks before doing work that's suggested was more of a general one(directed at mods like the spring mod...).

Old 09-26-2004, 05:33 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

To clarify further...use both if you have an aftermarket intake.

Your engine will be happier in the long run.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:55 PM
millenniumdna
All Star

I know it prolongs the life of the turbo and it had no draw backs , but you havent told me what it does. That was my question. How does it accomplish its goals. You must not have understood what i meant or i typed it wrong. I know water in the frezzer freezes to ICE but how does it do it get it?

Old 09-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Barneydriver
Captain

the pcv is on top of the valve cover and releases oil that blows past the internals under high boost situations. all it does is release the oil to get it out of the engine. you could just run a tube down to the bottom of the motor and it would drain to the ground, but of course the epa doesn't like that, so they require a return hose which sends the oil back to the intake manifold where it is burned. this theoretically will reduce power since the oil takes the place of air that could be used for combustion. however, it primarily just gunks stuff up. therefore you put on an occ to separate the oil b4 it gets into the intake to prevent this problem.
like i said, if you wanted to, you could just run a tube to the bottom and drain it to the ground- dcx obviously can't design it that way due to legal reasons, and most of us either don't want to pollute or don't want oil all over the garage floor or bottom of the car.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:28 AM
millenniumdna
All Star

Thanks alot That was a great response to my question!!

Old 09-27-2004, 02:59 AM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

The Brother is Good....

Old 09-27-2004, 01:11 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

On the PCV side it will prevent oil from entering the intake manifold right in front of the throttle body. This can will prevent oil from going into your cylinders causing carbon fouled plugs and depsoits.

On the crankcase vent, if you have an aftermarket intake, this prevents oil from going directly into your intake then turbo housing where it will burn and make a sticky mess, eventually fouling things up again - like expensive turbine wheels....
I thought I gave the same answer - although in much simpler terms, and with a shorter description. Barneydriver must be more eloquent than I. Either way - glad to see you have your answer - didn't know you wanted as technical a definition.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.