Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

coolant leak-99 dodge grand caravan

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:38 AM
gnoel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak-99 dodge grand caravan

Have 99 grand caravan; has coolant leak that appears to be coming from cover plate between transmission and engine connection; does anyone know what this might be, how to fix, etc.? The leak is steady; you can pour water into the radiator and about one gallon will drain out in approximately five minutes.

Some history on vehicle: about one month ago replaced water pump, thermostat, 2 radiator hoses, and 2 other 3/4 inch hoses coming off water pump; at that time, pressure test was fine and has been running fine since then, until this new leak developed a few days ago

Old 09-17-2006, 12:37 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: coolant leak-99 dodge grand caravan

If the leak is indeed between the transmission and engine it could be a "freeze plug" that's rusted through.This would be a major repair that requires removing the engine from the transaxle to replace the freeze plug so make sure this is where the coolant is coming from.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 AM
angela107

I am curious if the freeze plug was in fact the problem. My 99 caravan just started a major leak of antifreeze and I was told the problem is a "freeze plug" from my mechanics assistant. I looked back at my records on the van and see that the freeze plug was replaced last year ...almost exactly a year ago this week. The first freeze plug was on the van for the first 60,000 miles, now at 70,000 it needs to be replaced again.

Isit strange for this plug to go so quickly from the date it was replaced?? Is there some other issue that would cause the plug to rust again within a year? If anyone has dealt with this problem before, please respond.

Thanks
Angela

Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
autoguru77

I find it very hard to believe that the freeze plug would have rusted out in a year. If I am not mistaken you could have an issue with the metal pipe/tube that connects the back of your water pump with the upper radiator hose-the hose fits on to the pipe right above where the transmission and engine meet (look directly under the throttle body-You could probably put your hand on top of the transmission and see if there is coolant on top of the bellhousing, which would indicate to me that it is not coming out of the freeze plug. Good luck!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:39 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

There is more than 1 freeze plug and typically you don't mess with them unless they go bad. In the north sometimes salt and stuff gets in the edge on the back side of the motor and corrodes them which can happen at any time.

Quick Reply: coolant leak-99 dodge grand caravan