1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Trans code P0700

Old 07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
ChargerDude70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans code P0700

Hello all. Bought my daugher this 98 Avenger with 86900 miles on it . It has the 2.5 V6 in it. I received this trans code (P0700) today. The car went into limp mode. I reset the code and the car was fine for a about 10 miles. Then I reset again and it made it home. The trans makes a buzzing sound while shifting from park to reverse or drive. Is this normal? It seems to shift fine after reset but after a while it throws the code. I have no history on this car. I was woundering if anyone else has had this problemand what can be done to fix it. Thanks in advance for all who responde. Duane

Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Trans code P0700

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
The codes can be found on this site also in the General Tech area here...
https://dodgeforum.com/m_126008/tm.htm
The racheting noise is normal from what I recall. Mine had always made the noise and if you've got the original solenoid pack and removed the cover, it should be pretty loud. If the cover is off and you only hear it while shifting from park to drive, or similar situations, you've got the new revised pack.
What color is your tranny oil, does it smell burnt, does it have speckles in it?

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 AM
tom92RTtt

sorry i cant help you more but i do know that the buzzing noise you hear is normal and every Avenger and Sebring that ive ever been in or driven one thathasmade the same sound. Sorry i cant be of more help good luck on ur search for answers

Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
ChargerDude70

Thnaks for the replies. I was wondering if Silver would chime in. I am aware of the codes that you refer to. I also have access to other manuals online as I work for Chrysler. This is what the service manual says from an 04 Pt Cruiser manual about the 0700 code. "This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX has an active fault and has requested illuminated the MIL via a BUS message. The specific fault must be acquired from the EATX". I just wish I knew what that ment in English.What is the EATX? The fluid is brown in color. As stated before, I have no history of this car. I dont know if the 60000 mile trans service was done. I went out and purchased Mopar +4 trans fluid and a filter to do it myself. I'm just hoping it isnt too late. Thats the only worry I had about buying one of these cars. The car was bought at a reasonable price but if I wanted to buy a 3500.00 car, I would have just did that. I know its about 1400.00 to have these rebuilt but I already found a place online that sells them used with 60000 miles or less for about 800.00 shipped. Worse comes to worse, I will go that route.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:33 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The description is vague and the translation is just as vague. It's just stating that something is wrong with the tranny and so the CEL pops up, lol. Whether internal or external, it doesn't state it.
It seems to be internal. The brown tranny fluid is a good indicator of what it may be. As you know, as long as there isn't any specks of metal in there, you still have hope. I would change the EATX relay on the firewall too as it can trip the CEL also. It's external and very cheap to replace since you don't have to buy one from the dealership and can be replaced with a Radio Shack relay. 87A is not used on any of the firewall relays.
I hope the fluid works for you and keep us posted as to what you find out or if the fluid does the job.
Also, welcome to DF ChargerDude

Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 AM
ChargerDude70

Have not done anything yet.....I neglected to inform that when the trans codes were set, it was on a100 deg day. I reset the codes and drove it home. The codes set within 17 miles. Pulled over and reset to get home. Called the dealer andwas toldto bring in. I drove it the next day to try and get the codes again. Not happening. Drove it to work the day after to set codes, didnt happen till on the way home from work.Taking it in today.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just by stating that it goes into limp mode when hot sounds to me like the fluid getting too hot and breaking down too much to do anything. I bet if you had the tranny fluid changed out, it will run fine once again.
If that's the original fluid or it was changed out and had "Time-it-lube" universal ATF+3 put in....there's the problem right there.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 AM
ChargerDude70

Well, had the trans fluid done.Both the fluid and the filter had no metal in them worth mentioning.Its been about a hundred or so mile so far andno trans codes. The only thing I don't care for is the slow shifts. I don't know if this is normalor not.I would think not. It would build up heat. Anywho, I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Slowshifts? This car was my first automatic, as I started driving with a manual. It was "tough" to get used to keeping my hand off the shifter, lol.
It will shift slower if the overdrive button is pressed in and the throttle is applied lightly or slowly. It will shift "faster" if the throttle is pressed aggressively. When I say "fast", there's still a slight delay in response. I believe it to be the nature of the A604. I've driven other automatics since then and even my wife's Dodge Caravan shifts with a slight delay, just a bit faster. It seems that GM/Ford has faster shifting automatics.

I hope that this was your car's issue. It seems that way since it hasn't done it since, but sometimes, that second or third domino chip takes a bit of teetering before it falls and starts the chain reaction all over again, lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans code P0700