1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

a/c drain location

Old 07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
nasgue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c drain location

i have an '02 Durango SLT with front and rear a/c. it seems that I have a condensor drainage leak or something. i have a small puddle on the front passenger side but it looks like water. where is the drain supposed to be? i'm having trouble finding it. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default RE: a/c drain location

This is based on previous DMC Vehicles but I believe it is on the engine side of the frirewall when looking in from the hood, check somewhere along the passengers side about mid level, the Drain pattern for water is weird, but if you have a puddle of water and after a high humnididty day it would most likely be by the pax, front tire, inboard aft. I had Cherokee right in the above mentioned location. when you find the fitting, inspect it well,I had a wasp get stuck in one for about two weeks, and the water wouldnt drain overboard, and back drained into my carpet. I founf the offending wasp, evicted them most haste then had to take the front pax seat out for a sunny clear day t to dry the seat and caropet area. I would almost conclude that even with the rear and heat controllers are probably hooked to a common drain line Good luck if I can get soe pictres I will submit online.

MAGIC84

Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep that's where it is supposed to be. There is a small drain tube under the D, somewhere right as if it were under the glove box.

Stop worrying! If it is water, all is good.

IndyD

Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

Yep that's where it is supposed to be. There is a small drain tube under the D, somewhere right as if it were under the glove box.

Stop worrying! If it is water, all is good.

IndyD
What he said, if water, water = condinsate, condinsate = a/c functioning propperly.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 AM
nasgue

cool, thanks for the info gents! hopefully i can get to it today. I'll post a follow up...

Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Knukle Head
Default Finding the AC Drain tube Part2

Well I still cant find the drain tube on my 2002 Dodge Durango .. I do have an idea though.. I saw a funny shapped heat sheild behind where the manifold combined with the down pipe. That heat sheild looks like it is made for a tube behind it .. Pictures would be helpfull here if at all possible I have been out there 5 times and I just cant find tyhe tube. I am a fairly competant mechanic but I am new to the durango so no jargon please..
Thank you all in advance.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

K H, why do you need to find your drain tube? If it ain't broke, no need to fix it. Actually, it should last a lifetime with no intervention. The only need is if you are getting leaking INSIDE the floorboards showing that it s clogged. That is from usually all owing leaves and lots of junk on the wiper cowl over and over and over. It gets in there, plugs up the drain and you get H2O in the cab. Otherwise, leave it alone.

IndyDurango

IndyD

Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Knukle Head

I really dont mean to be condescending but I do have a pool in the passenger floorboard. I have all the symptoms of the previous poster which is why I revived this old thread. I really need some experienced guidance on this matter. (Finding the drain tube).
Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by Knukle Head; 08-19-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

So you do have the water in the floorboard too. Gotcha.

Re: The AC condensation drain... You WILL need to find it from the bottom. Have you looked yet? The drain from the condenser is through the firewall just above the exhaust. It comes out of the firewall low on passenger that may be clogged. It should be a short plastic molded angle hose. If it is clogged, us a screwdriver to clear the opening.

Here is a DIY with photos and repair parts list/prices:
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57831

HTH,

IndyDurango

Also, check the gasket on the wiper cowl.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:18 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Passenger side lower 1/4 the way up from the floorboard up right in the middle. Right behind the head/block mating surface and; well just look at the pictures Indy posted a link to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c drain location