Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Glow plugs?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 AM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plugs?

Does the 6.7L have glow plugs? If not, how does the combustion occur in very cold weather? I do know it can start at -20 F. But, how if not using glow plugs?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Glow plugs?

Cummins doesn't use glow plugs... that's a Ford thing. The Cummins has help starting with the use a heater grind the warms the air going into the engine through the intake. It's a much better and efficient way of getting it started.
btw... your screen name is a little incorrect. The Cummins isn't a V8, it's a inline 6 cylinder [sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-28-2007, 10:12 AM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie

In '09 they will offer V8 cummins diesel for 1/2 ton pickups. Just wanted to get the screen name before anyone else. Thanks for the reply! Good info!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:45 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

dang! i NEVER knew that Cummins didnt have glow plugs! I always thought they did! So no model has ever used glow plugs??

Old 07-28-2007, 12:29 PM
finny
All Star

nope

if you take off i think it is the intake manifold you can see the heater thing.
it seems to work my dad was able to start his old 96 in -36C

Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Mayfair time

pppppffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttt GLOW PLUGS????? WTF ARE GLOW PLUGS. THE CUMMINS USES A TOASTER OVEN ON STEROIDS TO GET THINGS GOING PFFFFTTTTT.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:49 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Heater grids are more effectient. The glow plugs work on each cynlinder where the grid heats the air going in. Grids don't get as dirty and fail as often. Plus if it does it is just sitting on top so it is easier to replace.

It does take a lot of power though. When it is good and cold and you haven't plugged the truck in you can see your lights dim when it is on cycle.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:05 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

ok...here is a newbee question for you! I was looking around the engine and there looks to be like a 3 prong plug in like as in you can plug it into a house!!??? Is this what you are talking about and what exactly does it do???

Old 07-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

The 3 prongplug is your block heater and YES, you can plug it into your regular old house outlet. I put mine on a timer though so that it comes on ( starts warming ) about3 hours before i leave for work. That heater draws about 700 watts. Theres no need to use that much electricity all night long. 3 hours is all you'll need.

I just did a mod where I moved that plug to the rear of the truck since I back into my driveway. I've also added a battery charger to keep the batteries charged along with heating the block. I got the lessons form Diesel Demon.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:25 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Yeah that is for the block heater. When it gets cold you plug it in at night to keep the engine warm. Some have battery blankets too since a frozen battery wont take / keep a charge.

I got tired of digging for mine (Mayfair just don't) so I mounted a plug: http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WD-BHP

I run a timer on the outlet so it doesn't start warming it up tell about 1am (I leave around 6 so it is plenty of time).

Best part is the windshield never ices up that way There is nothing worse than trying to get up on the hood of this beast in 2 inch heels to scrap ice (again Mayfair just dont).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glow plugs?