Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Coolant Leak Please Help

Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
meat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Please Help

Im a new user as of yesterday, and a new diesel owner as of 4 months ago. So I know nothing about diesels yet. Anyway, I have a 98 Dodge 24 valve cummins turbo diesel. I love my truck, except for this problem. Im gonna try to explain this leak spot the best I can. Back left corner of engine, behind exhaust manifold, about an inch from the back of the exhaust manifold, on head (unit) the bottom corner of head is squared off and in the middle of that section is a round hole about 1/4 to 1/2 " in diameter. This hole is filled with some kind of rubberlike substance in which the supposed "rubber" is looking to be corroding. Well this is where the coolant leaked from. Now I dont know if this had anything to do with it, but the day before, the engine was running hot, so after cool down i noticed radiator was not full. i put about a gallon and a half of fluid in, it seemed to run fine til the next evening when this leak happened. Can anyone help me? Sorry if the directions to the leak are not the best, like i said, Im just starting to learn this truck and its engine.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 PM
refloyd
Rookie
Default RE: Coolant Leak Please Help

might be a freeze plug leaking, it could also be the dreaded 53 block. But since you said it was a roud hole with a rubber like plug that was leaking it would be the freeze plug.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Mayfair
Legend

The 53 blocks leaked from the bottom I think, and I think for some reason they didn't come out till 99.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Are you 100% sure that it is coming from the round plug and not a crack in the block right below the round plug? If it is leaking like this, you more than likely have a cracked block.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
meat

Ya its definatley from a hole, like i said the hole is about a 1/4" maybe 1/3" in diameter and there is rubbery stuff in the hole. the freeze plugs are about an inch in diameter. is it possible for there to be different size freeze plugs? im stumped. i appreciate everyone replying i just hope a solution can come from this. keep posting, hopefully someone can come up with something for me. i do have a diesel mechani coming to look in a couple days, but i will take all the advice i can get. thanks again everyone.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 AM
meat

oh and i forgot to tell everyone, when i dig with my finger at the rubbery substance or push on it, i can tell air wants to get out cause it fizzes, so its definatley coming from that hole

Old 08-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Sounds like someone did a quick fix before they sold the truck.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Mayfair you are probably right. Atleast it doesn't sounds too difficult to fix and it isn't a 53 block issue.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:05 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Get a pic of it, there are different size freeze plugs, if I remeber right some on the head aren't bigger than a 1/2"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Please Help