3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid Change

Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 PM
tnt1036
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change

Well I did it and what a mess and a pain that was. Dropped the pan, changed the filters, and then then let the trucks pump out the rest that was not in the pan. I don't know if I will do that again but, I also did not find out how much the dealer would have charged. I put in Mobil 1 synthetic.I also did the transfer case while I was already on my back and covered in trans fluid. I just ordered my spark plugs and will be doing that in the next few days. 30,000 miles

Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Fluid Change

i had the dealership here do it cause i didnt want to mess with it (do it for so long workin at the dealership dont feel like doin in on ur back in the parking lot lol) but they charged me $110 to do it

Old 08-13-2007, 08:11 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes it is just easier to cut the check and get it done. I no longer have the time or the space to do minor stuff like that anymore. Red

Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 AM
LoFlyer
Professional

Good job. I think it's valuable to do that kind of maintenance yourself at least once just to increase your experience and understanding. The second time will be much easier and to me that kind of work is relaxing. I did like you and flushed the converter,but just so you know, the dealership only does a pan drop and filter change for the tranny service because ATF+4 is a fill for life fluid. Be sure to recheck the tranny fluid levels because those filters soak up about a quart of fluid.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
tnt1036
Professional

So if it's a fill for life fluid why do they have us changing it every 30,000? Maybe it will be a little more relaxing next time now that I know what I am doing. now I have to go out and figure out how to remove the front boot on my 4-wheeler. Oh and the wife has made is clear that I will be buiding a swing set also. I quess it's better than going to work and dealing with everyone else's problems.

The one thing that saved my sanity in the pan drop is that the filter I bought from advanced auto parts came with a gasket for the pan so I did not have to make my own.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM
abarmby
Champion

Hi tnt1036.

When you drained all the oil by letting thetrucks pump pump the torque converter out. Did you keep topping it up at the dipstick at the same rate?
Did you pull a transmission line to help you do this?
What did you do?
I like to know, as I'm considering doing this myself as well.
I've pasted a link below to a "how to" article from Amsoil.
Is this what you did?
Cheers..................Al.

http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_F...Procedures.pdf

Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 PM
LoFlyer
Professional

ORIGINAL: tnt1036

So if it's a fill for life fluid why do they have us changing it every 30,000? Maybe it will be a little more relaxing next time now that I know what I am doing. now I have to go out and figure out how to remove the front boot on my 4-wheeler. Oh and the wife has made is clear that I will be buiding a swing set also. I quess it's better than going to work and dealing with everyone else's problems.

The one thing that saved my sanity in the pan drop is that the filter I bought from advanced auto parts came with a gasket for the pan so I did not have to make my own.
I don't pretend to know the answer to that, I just know that's what my manual calls it. My guess would be that the service is to replace the filters and remove fuzz from the pan.
Abarmby, this is the link I used to change my tranny fluid: http://www.60ateight.com/DodgeRam/
The fluid comes out fairly slow when draining the converter so it was no problem pouring it in as fast as it came out. I used an empty 5 gallon oil jug to gauge how fast it was coming out.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
tnt1036
Professional

I used the same guide as Loflyer posted. However, I did not have the same slow pump as described. Mine pumped out about 5 quarts a minute. That sort of worried me and made me question if I was doing it right. The bottom line runs back to the trans panand the top line goes to the trans itself. So I quess it was right(bottom line), the stuff that was comming out looked as good as the stuff I was putting in. Mine is a 4x4 and the the guide i was following his was a 4x2 I have no idea if that makes a difference or not. Mine also has a tow package, again unknown if that would make a difference in the flow rate.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM
abarmby
Champion

Thanks guys.
I had read that post to the link before but couldn't remember where I read it.
I'll try as you both did and post up the results.
I have a 4x4 so I wonder how much fluid I'll need to do a complete flush?
Al

Old 08-13-2007, 04:55 PM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: tnt1036

Well I did it and what a mess and a pain that was. Dropped the pan, changed the filters, and then then let the trucks pump out the rest that was not in the pan. I don't know if I will do that again but, I also did not find out how much the dealer would have charged. I put in Mobil 1 synthetic.I also did the transfer case while I was already on my back and covered in trans fluid. I just ordered my spark plugs and will be doing that in the next few days. 30,000 miles
Order a PML transmission cover with a drain plug and it makes life much easier. I change my transmission fluid every 15000 miles and filters on 30000 mile intervals. (Ex: 15000 fluid change, 30000 fluid and filter change, 45000 fluid change, 60000 fluid and filter, etc.) If for no other reason than peace of mind, and its so easy with the drain plug. Just my $.02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change