Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1999 Dodge 1500 Van thermostat problems

Old 08-31-2007, 06:24 PM
gk27603
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge 1500 Van thermostat problems

I have a 99 dodge cargovan, 1500 6 cylinder. Thethe thermostathas been bouncing around 210 to 260 but has never over heated, to were I have to pull over. When it gets to about 250I can turn off the A/Candit drops down 20/25 degres. I I changed the sensor. Did,nt work. Still bounces around. Can you tell if a thermostat is going bad.IChanged fluids. There was somebliud up in the over flow tank.How can I rule out the water pump. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Dodge 1500 Van thermostat problems

This sounds serious.[&:]

Yes, change the thermostat to either a 180F or 195F type. Don't go lower than the 180F since the PCM (computer) would get messed up on input values.

When you changed the fluids, did you use "distilled water" with the glycol mixture? If not, then all of the glycol inhibitor protection is now used up due to the use of tap water.

It's strange that the AC has an effect on the cooling. But, both the water pump and AC run off of the same belt. Have you checked the belt tension, the tensioner and the pulleys? If the water pump is shot, it will be either very hard to turn the it's pulley or very sloppy to turn it.

Another odd thing about engine heat is this, when was the last time the engine oil and filter were changed? Whats the level of oil now? Remember to use 10W30 in this 3.9L Magnum engine. If the oil hasn't been changed in a long while, the cooling system can't keep the engine cool enough.

Does the vehilce throw any engine codes when the off/on key trip is done three times?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:51 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

If the temperature only climbs when using the A/C (or up long hills on hot days), then you need a new radiator.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:03 PM
gk27603
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank guys for the repleys. I checked out the radiator this morning. It looks like there is a lot of rust bluid up on the vents inside of the radiator. Also when I check the fluids when the truck is off, the fliuds stay all top off. Then when started it dosent look like its circulating thru. Is that normal.If I do change out the radiator is it best to chane the water pump also,at the same time. I am going to check the belts and fan now. Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you change out the radiator, it's easier to have the van on a lift about three feet off of the ground. This way the radiator can be easily removed out the bottom without messing with the AC hard lines.

If you're looking at keeping this van as your daily driver and would like it to have better fuel milage, then I would recommend an eFan. An eFan is an electronic driven fan vs. the clutch-type belt/pulley type in the van now. What are the benefits having an eFan in our Ram vans?

1. Better fuel economy since the eFAn does NOT add any load to the engine when running.
2. Increases air circulation around the engine. This adds about 6-inches more between the eFan and the engine.
3. The eFan will run when the engine turns off for a brief period of time. This really helps engine parts cool off better and last longer.
4. Having no clutch-type belt driven gives a person total access to the water pump and easier to work on other front engine components.
5. Reduces under hood engine noise greatly.

The 180 Black Magic Extreme should do the job well. Many of the Dakotas, Durangos & Ram Trucks owners have switched over to them too. It blows 3300 CFM and draws only 18Amp DC. That's less amps than the inside blower on high uses at 22Amps. I plan on doing the project when the summer honey-do chores finish.

The price various from retailers online from $269 to $380. SummitRacing, Jegs, ... are a few suppliers among many. Again, it's an investment that does pay off in less than a year since the fuel prices are still about $3/gallon. A person named Dave did the upgrade and has seen the fuel economy average jump from 16mpg to 18mpg. He also uses synthetic oils in the van and it uses a deeper tranny pan.

The object is to get the heat out of the engine bay of the vehicle. Our Ram Vans with the dog-house don't release the heat under the hood and van fast enough. The eFan and the extra 6" of air circulation during driving really keep things cool.

So, if you plan on changing out the radiator and have to remove the fan shroud and possible the clutch-type belt driven fan, I would highly recommend this option.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:39 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

If you change out the radiator, it's easier to have the van on a lift about three feet off of the ground. This way the radiator can be easily removed out the bottom without messing with the AC hard lines.
Really?[sm=happy046.gif]
It never occurred to me to try dropping the radiator down and out the bottom. Is there anything else that has to be disassembled or removed to accomplish this? Do the tranny cooling lines get in the way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge 1500 Van thermostat problems