3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom Subwoofer Box Anyone have these.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:53 PM
MexiRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Subwoofer Box Anyone have these.

Wanted to start working on my sound system. Just wondering if anyone has these and what they think of them they look great. Any info would be appreciated. Hers the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-12-Dodge-Ram-Q...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: Custom Subwoofer Box Anyone have these.

I don't really care what anyone says that thing is wayyy wayyy wayyyy too small for any of the subs he mentioned to perform even close to what they can. Way too small of an enclosure to get what you want out of a subwoofer He says that thing will handle a 12w3v2 BS dude here's a link to JL's manufacturing website that tells you what enclosure they recommend it isn't even close to that size. I have a 12w3 and my box takes up the entire back behind my rear seat in my wrangler. Hell after a sub would be in that thing the total cubic feet would be like .2 cu feet jl wants at least 1.25 cu ft total with the sub in.

I'll give it to him that it looks good but it's just not big enough for a sub to perform the way it should. It would probably work but still just too small or possible his pics are misleading perhaps email him ask for dimensions and i'm guessing that 5/8" MDF baffle he's talking about seperates the air space of the two subs or i'm not really sure what he means by that.

Also on a design standpoint boxes that have lots of sharp corners and crazy shapes do not sound as good as just a plain square box or as something that's a bit more planned out. The sharp corners and such create interference with the air the sub is moving and thus affect performance. Sub enclosure design is not easy by the least and I'm still learning but I would highly recommend not buying that box.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:29 PM
MexiRam
Professional

So basically if i want it to sound good i have to give up my back seat?? What about that box for like say 6x9s. I dont want to give up my back seat.i Alrady added 6x9 on the front doors.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in his pictures on ebay he show his back seats folding foward, had do u do it?

Old 09-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Mexi basically yea, since in the dodge trucks there isn't any room behind the seats and the room under really isn't adequate for a sub to work. you can still do it but i don't recommend it. uhh what box for 6x9's?? 6x9's will give you better bass over stock but still will be very lacking in the lows dept which for most would be just fine you really don't need a sub unless you are a perfectionist for sound or are like me and just love the bass rippin through the car.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:51 PM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would a bass speaker be in the lower center console between the front seats?
I know nothing about bass and amps, I'm just throwing the question out there.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 PM
cr80renob
Captain

ORIGINAL: moparmutt

How would a bass speaker be in the lower center console between the front seats?
I know nothing about bass and amps, I'm just throwing the question out there.
You could use one of these: http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/299.htm

I ordered from supercrewsound and it was an awesome experience!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:12 PM
casper3380
Veteran

you can get boxes that will fit under your back seat that will work fine. they have the standard .65 cu ft ofr the 10" model. Subs of high class are designed to work in that airspace range, and will give a great output. These small enclosure woofers are designed to work in these size enclosures. I have had 10's in .65 cuft (which is what size the enclosures come in) and they hit hard, deap, with good output. The only limitation is you have to find one that will fit the limited installation depth that placement requires, but there are a good number of drivers that will fit. As for box shape, the varied shape of these enclosures wont really effect output, the driver is more concerned with the airspace itself. The square enclosure, non-filled, can cause a wave effect with the square shape. As I have read, perfect square shapes arent good for sub bass frequencies. As for manufacturers, I would recommend MTX or Qlogic. MTX's box is for 2 tens and was computer designed to match the quad cabs acoustics. The Q-logic box is a single but the make one for each side, so you can have one or two. Also, the mtx has a powered option which comes with two ten inch drivers and built in 200 watt Rms amplifier, that is matched to the drivers in the enclosure. There is a company that makes a box for the front, but it sacrifices the center seat (nto the armrest) and only with tthe 60/40 bench. I hope this helps you out m8.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I kind of like this as I only want one sub.. But I am looking q-logic as well.
http://www.foxacoustics.com/subpage1.html

Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Hemiriden
Professional

Here is another idea. These are Custom laid fiberglass boxes w/10" JL's. They hit hard, clean, and clear. It usto rattle the truck...untilI put the soundmats in the doors and walls. Just another idea. (custome fiberglass box cost me $200, $100 per box) The system is a full 5.1 JL Audio system all powered byone Slash 500/5 amp. The subs only take in 250 watts total... the other 250 powers the other 7 speakers (2 rear doors, 2 front doors, 2 dash tweeters, 1 center channel,{all speakers have filters on them}) don't believe everything you hear.... more power is not always better..... You can power a whole room of 12" subs (about 30) withone 500watt amp.

P.S. They sound Good even with the metal trays AND seats down. Still they bump hard!I usualy have passangers soI rarely put the seats and tray up andI still get jawdropping compliments. The best part about Custom boxes like this is if you HAVE the trays you don't have to remove them like you do with the ones jimmydaleo linked to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Subwoofer Box Anyone have these.