1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P1784 Durango Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 PM
abou_steph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1784 Durango Tranny problems

Hi,
I have a 2001 Durango SLT, 4.7L 2WD with 51K miles. I have it serviced at the recomended times. I had the tranny services recently at the local mechanic shop and the next day the tranny started acting up. In the morning, when it's cold, the Durango does not move onall gearsunless the RPM is running about 2500. and even then it starts to slowly move, it feels as if the transmission is not engaging. Then after some slight warming period (5 minutes or so) it starts tomoves, but only 3rd gear engages (when going forward). I can force 2nd gear by moving the selector from D to 2..At this time the OBD light comes on, with a P1784 code (I had it read at the local parts store). Then if I keep driving for another 10 minutes and by restarting the engine the transsmission will start shifting normally. If I continue to drive further for another 20 miles or so, the OBD light will go off and everything appears to be working normally.. Does this sound familiar? I saw some discussions on this problem on this board, but there was no clear answer on what the cause could be. I saw some recomondations to adjust the tranny bands, but I also read that the 45RFE (the type of tranny it has) is an electronic one and thus does not have any bands to adjust. I also saw some suggestions to change the Solenoid Pack.

Thanks for any feedback or recomendations..

Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: P1784 Durango Tranny problems

Have you found out what P1784 is? I had this similar issue on my brand new rebuild tranny but it starts off in 2nd gear instead of 3rd gear. But it went away now. I guess it takes a break in period? Anyways, back to your problem, check your fluid levels on your tranny since you just had it serviced and seemed like that is when the problem started. I was almost a quart low after I got my tranny running. But most problems went away after I filled up the fluids to proper level.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

P1784 LR Pressure circuit. Do you have any other codes?? P1791 Loss of prime? If you need the diag sheet for repairs just send an pm or email. Leonard

Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 AM
abou_steph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the fluid the first thing, and it was topped off..
The first time I checked the codes, last week, I got the following 2 codes (in addition to the P1784):
- P1698
- P0731

But earlier this week Icheck the code ,after the light came on again, and I got only the P1784.
Thanks for any suggestions..

Quick Reply: P1784 Durango Tranny problems