Print Wikipost

Clear headlight lenses

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear headlight lenses

Welp, I made the upgrade to clear lens. So far, I do not think these clear lense are as good as the OEM's. Granted the light luminance and disperalis good but it does not have a good solid light area that my OEM's made. When I put my D about 15 feet away from the wall, I can clearly see the difference in the solid light beam between my clear and OEM lens. The clear has more of a diffused overall light pattern. No solid inner pattern. The OEM's has a good solid light inner pattern and then the outter lighting is the same as the clears. Kinda picture this with a good mag light where you have a good solid center core light then then your surrounding ambient light. When you turn your mag light to have more of a flood lighting, this is where the clear lens have that effect.

I was hoping that these clear lens will have much more luminance on the road like today's newer cars that still use halogens. My regular silver stars were no brighter when used with the clear lens compared when using the OEM lens. Does anyone use any other types of bulbs that has much higher luminance than silver stars without having to buy higher wattage bulbs that will require a wiring harness upgrade?

I wonder if this problem may just be the manufacturer that made these. Has anyone else that got these replaced produced this same diffused pattern? Other than this problem I do love the look of the clear lens. Now if someone can invent some high luminance low power LED headlight bulbs!

Bought them from autopartswarehouse.com for $155.42 with free s/h

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...e/durango.html

Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Kensai
Champion
Default RE: Clear headlight lenses

Has anyone tried these? Not expensive? $39.99 a pair and they are high per 80/100 watt bulbs.

http://www.eautoworks.com/index20%7C...ID%7C23943.cfm

And they make a plug and play high power wiring harness and you do not have to cut off your OEM's in case you want to switch back for $25.95

http://www.eautoworks.com/index20%7C...ID%7C33150.cfm

Am very tempted to get a set of these to see if it can really brighten up the road and provide close to HID performance!

I hope the factory fuse rating will still hold up the additional wattage. It did not say anywhere on the website if I have to step up the fuse rating?Power will be increasedabout 50 watts totalfor both bulbs.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:01 PM
RayB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[align=left]Good one...... I have the same question,
[/align]

Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 PM
myns
Rookie

i have had the one piece clear head lights on my d for a year now i have never noticed a problem they seem just as bright if not brighter then stock i have recently switched to hid they make a huge diff no cuttting they make a clip on harness for the d

Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

ORIGINAL: myns

i have had the one piece clear head lights on my d for a year now i have never noticed a problem they seem just as bright if not brighter then stock i have recently switched to hid they make a huge diff no cuttting they make a clip on harness for the d
Um, wow! I bet all the oncoming traffic just loves you. Looks a little TOO bright to me. (without a good cutoff pattern) Did you switch to some kind of projector housing or just use the same reflector housings?

Old 09-29-2007, 01:05 AM
myns
Rookie

they are not projection but they are the brightest hid u can get they make all different ones the camera doesnt help lol

Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Kensai
Champion

Always happen after you think you found and bought the perfect clear lens, you find something better.

http://www.migicar.com/97dkdbamc.html

Wished I can return my clear lens and get these:

http://www.migicar.com/97dakotahlbc.html

Old 09-29-2007, 01:09 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

ORIGINAL: myns

they are not projection but they are the brightest hid u can get they make all different ones the camera doesnt help lol
That's my point. They can be TOO bright. What does the cutoff pattern look like on your headlights? Take a picture of the lights shinning against a wall or something like that.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM
moparfire
Exclamation Bulbs

80/100 watt bulbs are not legal for street use in MN, so check your local DOT before you buy these and blind oncoming drivers. There is enough road rage on the streets without adding more contributing factors. If you need extra driving light for desolate country roads or in the woods, get some aux. driving lights or even a flood pattern to give you a good view. You can switch these off after you hit the streets again. I have been impressed with the Sylvannia Silverstar bulbs. They really do brighten things up, however, they also tend to burn out in a 6 month time frame, most likely due to heat.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
moparfire

Also, I just researched a bit....it appears the feds govern the headlamps in your vehicle. The bulbs and headlamps themselves are supposed to be stamped or marked DOT legal. Check that out when you are buying aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Clear headlight lenses