2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

How to put it in 4 wheel drive..

Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to put it in 4 wheel drive..

I know it sounds queer I am asking this...but when I bought my truck it didn't come up with an instructional manual. Anyways, when I am changing the different gears in the front differential, should I put the truck in neutral or in park. A few times when I was changing the floor shifter to various positions, it would make a very loud grinding noise because I had it in Park. Am I safe to play with the floor shifter if the transmission is in Neutral??

Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Default RE: How to put it in 4 wheel drive..

supposedly going from 2high to 4high you can do in on the move, when going into 4low you need to be stopped and in neutral.

and right now im having a brain fart i may have the high and low switched up- but whichever one is the same with 2wd, you can do it on the move.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

do ya think id be safe though, no matter what, to be in neutral when putting it into 4L,N,2H, or 4H?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

look over the passenger side sun visor for an instruction sheet on 4wd shifting.
muddy has it right... 2 hi <---> 4 hi is ok on the move, even up to 50 mph (although i'd never do that)
however, 2 hi <---> 4 low should be in neutral barely moving, or stopped in park.

its always ok to stop shift trans to park or neutral before shifting t-case.
when coming out of 4wd, i think its always a good idea to stop, shift trans to reverse, back up a few feet, and then shift back to drive. this helps the cad disconnect. when not doing this, i have had the 4wd light go out, but i could feel that it was still in 4wd due to the front tires binding in a turn.

when shifting from 2 hi to 4 low, you have the long throw forward. do not pause in neutral, or you'll get stuck there and t-case will grind. just shift it in one long HARD throw, all the way. i you do get it stuck out of gear, just turn off ignition, finish the shift, and start it back up. not very cool - but thats what you have to do.

don't drive on hard, dry surfaces while in 4wd. the front/rear binding needs to be able to slip the tires. dirt, gravel, mud, sand all ok. pavement not ok.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

do ya think id be safe though, no matter what, to be in neutral when putting it into 4L,N,2H, or 4H?
yea, thats how i do it. just to be safe. the only time i do it on the move is when im goin through a mud hole in 2wd then start it feelin to bog down, then ill throw it into four. but usually i just come to a stop, no point in risking it if you dont have to.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put it in and out of 4 hi moving all the time, escpecially in the winter. I've done it as fast as 40 mph, but I usually try to do it under 20. With 4 lo, I usually have to come to a stop, put it into reverse, then into neutral before I can get it into 4 low. If I don't back up that little bit, it sometimes won't go in.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one thing to add. While I agree it is okay to switch into from 2 hi to 4 hi while moving, or in park or nuetral, I suggest you only shift into 4 low with the transmission in nuetral. I've had it start grinding when I try to switch it with the transmission in park. Neutral and parked is the way to go when switching in and out of 4 low.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

when shifting from 2 hi to 4 low, you have the long throw forward. do not pause in neutral, or you'll get stuck there and t-case will grind. just shift it in one long HARD throw, all the way. i you do get it stuck out of gear, just turn off ignition, finish the shift, and start it back up. not very cool - but thats what you have to do.
lmao i feel so UNCOOL doing that for real around people.

i try and make up a technical term when i have a girl in the truck and she asks Why did u have to do that?

i have said things such as....

Well you see, the syncronizers in the transfer case in this year truck dont operate correctly on a Low to High gear ratio shift, causing a lot of slippage into final drive and affects my crawl ratio....

blabbing i kno but it works pretty good lmao

haha

Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 AM
spaz_22
Captain

if you don't want to hear it grind when going from 2wd to 4wd low, you can always shut the truck off. put it into 4low and the go on your way.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 AM
the Master5851

when shifting into 4 low, get rolling about 5mph and shift tranny into neutral. then in one motion put the truck into 4 low without stopping in neutral.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to put it in 4 wheel drive..