3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Detroit Locker

Old 10-07-2007, 09:39 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Locker

I was just checking out some LSD and complete lockers, and actually found a mopar LSD unit for the same price as a Detroit Locker (Ebay). My question is how streetable is a Locker, and what are the pros and cons of an LSD opposed to a locker. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Rob

Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 PM
marv02
Captain
Default RE: Detroit Locker

Lockers are great for OFF ROAD not for street they engage hard you go thought tires much faster Than a Good LSD like Albrun or Eton.

I have also read that Full lockers are hairy to drive in snow and Ice.

I was Looking at A Detrot Truetrac my self but my Buddy that owns a rear end shop told me this is more for full on off road than Street.

Don't go with the stock type LSD that Chrysler sales I read just bad stories on the stock Carriors why get more headachs.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i've never had a problem with the stock rear in any of trucks with the exception of some things that i've done to it lol....but personally, I like the locker alot....street use it's a lil hairy to be using, but offroad it's great and i've never had any problems with it in the snow or rain (got em in my 77 powerwagon)...if your looking at an aftermarket LSD i'd go with either a Detroit TruTrac or Auburn LSD....my opinon would be to go ti the trutrac since it doesn't contain clutches like the Auburn but they are both quality units

Old 10-07-2007, 11:06 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

Have you ever heard with either of these Auburn or the TruTrac about any rear end noise, or clunking?? Just a thought, I know that problem is more consistent with atrue locker but just wondering. Thanks

Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

lockers are amazing... they may be hairy on the street but it just makes it fun...
plus if your driving anything worthy of a locker you shoul dknow how to drive...
i have a locker in my challenger which i used to drive every single day rain sno sleet or shine and it did me wonders! i also have a spool in my superbee and i drive that on the street too it dont bother me none.
just chirps about around corners.. so i say if you want amazing off road capibilitys and awsome grip on the street get a locker

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, I'm with Marv on this one. You need to determine exactly what you want out of the truck. If you're off-road 70% of the time (that doesn't mean a dirt road either) go with a locker, but you will not like it on road. I would also stay away from the OEM LSD, the clip issue is too much to take a chance on. Go Auburn.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

True Lockers are a wonderful thing -- in mud, on rocks, crossing water, going in a straight line, etc. They are perfect for your weekend off-road truck. They are, however, very impractical for pavement use. Tires will chirp around turns causing pre-mature wear of not only tires but front/rear end components as well. If your truck is a daily driver then the best investment you can make is in a good aftermarket LSD, or if you've got an excess of cash, then a selective locker you can turn on and off, like an ARB air locker.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hammer, does anyone evenmake a selectable locker for our Chrysler 9.25?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Duso02

Hammer, does anyone evenmake a selectable locker for our Chrysler 9.25?
No, I don't believe so, that was just a generalized statement as to what would be the only true locker for a daily driver 4x4, just not our daily driver 4x4's. I believe our choices are MOPAR[:@], AUBURN, DETROIT TRUTRAC, & DETROIT LOCKER. So the only true locker we could get is the Detroit - great product, bulletproof, but not very practical for a daily driver.

In hindsight, I wish I'd have kept my old '98 RC 1500 360CI 4x4 with the solid axle up front. It had a body lift & 35's with LSD (MOPAR - but before the days of the dreaded "C-Clip" failures) I'd have still bought '04 Hemi for more of a daily driver and built that 360 into a killer weekend truck. Coulda' done maybe Detroit Locker rear, TruTrac up front, 4.56's. Then maybe a 426 stroker kit! Damn, I'm getting a woody just thinking about it!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:42 PM
50fox

I just went to the local dodge dealer and they gave me a price for a stock lsd (witch I will not be getting) and labor to put it in. They quoted me $750 for parts and $500 labor. That seems to be on the high end. I live in Oshkosh Wisconsin and was wondering if anyone has a place that they would recommend in the area. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detroit Locker