1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Can you bypass the Neutral Safety Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you bypass the Neutral Safety Switch?

Well after I swapped my transmission I have this problem (I beleive it to be the Neutral Safety switch) Where I can only start my Engine in Neutral and only then if I apply upward pressure to my shifter while in neutral. I don't care about the switch and its function I just want to be able to start the car in park without the switch giving me bs. I know its there so you don't start your car in Reverse or Drive but I never would start my car in those gears anyway.

I tried 2 Neutral safety switches and both do not work so I don't even know if both are bad or what else could be the problem but I assume both are bad now or the transmission doesnt recognise it, either wayI want to by pass that.

Any idea's? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
noenwarrior
Rookie
Default RE: Can you bypass the Neutral Safety Switch?

there is a switch on the front of ur tranny that has 3 wires in it. the brown one u just cut it and ground it somewere and it will bypass all that i had to do that when i did 5 speed swap from an auto the only bad side is it will start in gear and take off lol.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Slashwannabe

Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 PM
noenwarrior
Rookie

did u find the wire hope it works for you did me and my freinds car.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:27 PM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator

Sounds to me like your shifter is out of adjustment or the cables are stretched, I'd look at the adjustment prior to bypassing any safety switches, you could be opening yourself up to some serious liability down the road.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 PM
noenwarrior
Rookie

yes good idea take ur center consol out and there are 2 cables (of couse lol) the one on the passenger side has a spring adjustment sometimes they come out of adjustment so ull just haf the mess with it till ur shifter works.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:19 AM
Dustin1983
Default 2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7 trans issue

I recently replaced the transmission in my 2003 dodge dakota and now it will not start. The Neutral safety switch is not on the left side of the transmission, only thing i see is a sensor on the shifter itself. I have removed the battery cables over night and when i hook them up, the shift indicator will light up, start going thru the gears on the dash. Once it gets to drive, all of them light up. Does anyone have any clue to what may cause this? I cant do the needed quick learn process due to the fact that it will not start. Any advice would be much appreciated

Old 12-17-2023, 04:06 PM
Spike69
Default Bypass neutral safety switch

Originally Posted by Slashwannabe
Well after I swapped my transmission I have this problem (I beleive it to be the Neutral Safety switch) Where I can only start my Engine in Neutral and only then if I apply upward pressure to my shifter while in neutral. I don't care about the switch and its function I just want to be able to start the car in park without the switch giving me bs. I know its there so you don't start your car in Reverse or Drive but I never would start my car in those gears anyway.

I tried 2 Neutral safety switches and both do not work so I don't even know if both are bad or what else could be the problem but I assume both are bad now or the transmission doesnt recognise it, either wayI want to by pass that.

Any idea's? Thanks in advance!
How do I bypass my neutral safety switch

Quick Reply: Can you bypass the Neutral Safety Switch?