2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C bypass serpentine belt size???

Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 PM
PILOTGUY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C bypass serpentine belt size???

Ok. My a/c pulley bearing has gone bad. Thought the bearing was replaceable, but it is integrated into the pulley, so I took the$41 bearing back to the store. I found a rebuilt compressor on ebay for $145 but is going to take a little time to get.
I am looking for the proper size belt that will allow me to bypass the a/c pulley. I bought one at Autozone that said NO A/C, but it seems to be about 1 inch short and I think it is for trucks that did not have a/c installed. Just wondering if anyone here knows the size and/or where I can get it. Part number etc. would be very helpful. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Default RE: A/C bypass serpentine belt size???

There are two things you can do.

1. If you know it is only a inch or so short just go up one belt size. The guy at the parts store should know how to readthe part numberand pull it right off the shelf. Without seeing the number I cant tell you what it will be.

2. Take a string and make a run around your pulleys. Then take it to the parts store and use the measuring tool to get the correct size.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Glideman88
Professional

I had do the same thing last summer while on vacation. We were 200 miles from home when my ACclutch bearingwent bad. Of course it was nearly 100 degrees thatweek so it made for some excellent "family time" pulling the camper from place to place.

I went to the local NAPA and they looked up the part# for a 5.9 without AC and I tried it but it was too tight too. So through trial and error the parts guy let me try some slightly longer belts till I found the one that fits.

The part # on the belt I used is NAPA 25-070901

I found an AC clutch in a local boneyard for $75 and replaced it a couple days after we returned from our trip, but I keep that extra belt in my toolbox in case of emergencies.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 PM
PILOTGUY

That is great. Thanks. I am going to locate a NAPA and go with that.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
PILOTGUY

The NAPA belt fit great. Thanks again for the help!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Glideman88
Professional

[sm=icon_rock.gif]Glad to help!

Now just keep an eye out for a clutch at a decent price. It's easy to replace and your don't have to break your AC circuit to install it.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:34 PM
ranger460
Default what to do when Napa is closed

I found this thread when my stepson broke down a hundred miles away and all of the Napa stores were closed. But it was still useful because it contained a part number that I was able to have cross referenced at the local Autozone. Their belt for this fix is Duralast 900K7. Just thought this might be helpful to
someone.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:25 AM
HighRollinRam

Originally Posted by ranger460
I found this thread when my stepson broke down a hundred miles away and all of the Napa stores were closed. But it was still useful because it contained a part number that I was able to have cross referenced at the local Autozone. Their belt for this fix is Duralast 900K7. Just thought this might be helpful to
someone.
Also, at autozone they have a Dayco belt thats $2 more than the duralast belt listed above, much better quality. No belt noise at all, even with a slightly bent pully. Autozone/ Dayco part number 5070900. (Pics below) it's also a 90" belt.

Thanks Guys, without this post I would hv bought a crappy plastic bypass. this is a much better alternative. Dayco belt. Part number 5070909
Dayco belt. Part number 5070909

Old 12-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Shawnohio
Default 2002 Dodge Dakota A/C bypass serpentine belt size?

​​​ My a/c compressor had been previously removed before i bought it and my serpentine belt broke. What size do i need to buy?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C bypass serpentine belt size???