Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

HELP!! I need a picture of an older 318 motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 AM
basscatnc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! I need a picture of an older 318 motor

I recently got a 84 dodge ram 250 conversion van, and had to put a water pump on it, there's a spacer that goes between brackets on the R side of the motor between the powersteering pump, and the block, and the airconditioning pump i think, this spacer fell out when i was disassembling the motor, and i didnt see how it was spose to fit. anyone have a pic of this spacer and how it fits? Thankyou,
Mike

Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
basscatnc
Default RE: HELP!! I need a picture of an older 318 motor

Does anyone know where i can get a picture of how it should be?
thanks,
Mike

Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

some pictures & drawings here:

http://allpar.com/mopar/318.html

another here:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40090.htm

Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 PM
basscatnc

Thanks, I looked at those sites, but didnt see any pics of what i needed to see.
thanks,
Mike

Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's the best one I could find.
http://bouchillonperformance.com/images/4700_3small.jpg

Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I misplaced that same dang spacer when I swapped my cam 10 months ago. If I remember correctly this spacer was to ensure proper alignment of the AIR pump/smog pump, not the AC compressor. As I did not bother running the belt back to my smog pump, I substited a large bolt and a couple of washers so that I could tighten the remaining brackets fully. Of course when I was done I found the spacer, and soon will have to replace it where it's supposed to go, as I have to pass a smog test soon. If you think this is the same spacer as on your 318 in the same location, mine's an '89, I will find my spacer, measure its thickness, and photograph it's intended location on my engine. And post said info.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bass cat

This pic is taken under the hood, looking down a little toward the right. Apparently I did not use a couple of bolts and washers to mimic the spacer as I thoughtbut found something different.

The spacer itself is just over 1 1/32 ".

I remember having a difficult time re installing all the brackets and pulley driven devices. I'd forgotten which order I'd taken them off, and could not get them all back on and tightened before the RTV would begin to harden on the timing cover and h20 pump. Figuring out which length bolts went where was another hassle.

I wound up doing a couple of dry runs before I had the confidence to use the rtv.
I got it right though, no h20 leaks, no oil leaks.
Good luck, keep us posted

If the pictures lost too much resolution in downsizing or don't show up, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll resend the Hi res versions.

[IMG]local://upfiles/71879/ABAA404C6D10401ABC358C9027E2E00A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/71879/520E3B71276B48B4A2DEE7D6CC97CB95.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/71879/FC041898D0F14F00B051338E06453B3E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/71879/D9443DEFA15A46AF96FD50D87C817C3E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
basscatnc

Thanks alot, That may help me, i had all the bolts in order, but couldnt get that dang spacer back right, I'll keep you posted.
thanks again,
Mike

Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
IGadget
Professional

I gather you mean the right side as you are looking at it. The Right (passenger) side has the Alternator and you should not have needed to completely remove that to do the water pump.

If you did remove the Alt completely there should be two spacers on that side. The main support bolt on the alt go into the alt, into a large spacer, into the second hole on the alt then into the smaller spacer and then into the block. The larger one keeps you from bending the alt, and the shorter one keeps the alt out from the block. so it doesnt roast the alt. The middle bolt from top to bottom on that side holds the swing arm for the Alt and you would have needed to remove that.

On the Drivers side, you have the PS pump, and the Smog Pump. The lower two bolts on the drivers side of the water pump support the ps pump and there is a third bolt which is the pivot of the PS pump which goes directly into the block if I remember correctly. You should not have needed to remove that bolt either. Of the three bolts on the drivers side, the lowest is the tightening bolt setting the PS belt tension. The middle and top bots attach the smog pump mounting bracket. There is a dogbone like spacer with 2 holes which goes between the smog pump bracket and the PS pump bracket. If that is the spacer you are talking about, the shorter hole goes agains the PS pump bracket. The longer one goes agains the block and both holes are used by the bracket that mounts the smog pump. I can try to take a picture of it, but the radiator is really in the way.

I did my waterpump about 2 months ago so it is kinda fresh in my mind, though since then I have also done the Alt, the radiator, the feul pump and I suspect that I need to do the PS pump now too.

My RC sat for 4 years, so now I'm finding everything is shaking apart during my 1700 miles this month.

Quick Reply: HELP!! I need a picture of an older 318 motor