Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

How-To: Scion TC Aux Input

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-To: Scion TC Aux Input

I know this is a Dodge forum and all, but I figured this out at work yesterday and though it may be kinda handy for any of you that may come across this situation in the future.

Here's the deal. I was wiring up a Sirius Sportster 4 in this chicks Scion TC the other day, and the best SQ in these cars is to use the factory Aux input plug located in the center console cubby. Well she didnt want to actually "give up" the plug, and I didnt really want to see a cord in there anyways so.. I figured out the pin assignment on the aux input plug and hard wired directly to it. This way, all she has to do is turn off the Sat radio manually and she can still use the Aux plug for her Mp3 player. Plus it looks a lot cleaner with NO wires exposed.

The only hitch is, unless something is physically plugged into this jack, the radio won't let you select "AUX" as a source. So I figured out how to trick it and here is a little diagram of how to do it.

Name:  Scionaux.jpg
Views: 7277
Size:  12.8 KB

Basically you just cut the white wire and wire in a 2.6K ohm resistor from the radio side of that wire, to ground. The reason you have to cut the wire is, when you actually do plug something into the jack, the resistors in the plug get connected in parallel to the resistor you just wired in and the resistance gets cut in half, shutting the aux input back off because the resistance is wrong.

The rest of the wiring is pretty straight foreward. I just cut offone side of a 3.5mm headphone plug. Wired one side to this harness, and plugged the other side into the "Audio Out" of the Sirius Tuner. But you could use it for any external source with L/R audio out.

Like I said, this is probably useless to most of you, but you may run across it someday, who knows.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Default RE: How-To: Scion TC Aux Input

very.....very good idea!!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

Nice work!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM
roboots21

I stumbled upon this thread on a google search for a DIY Scion Aux. Input. This is great. It is almost exactly what I was looking for. In my case, I am using a Scion stereo in a Toyota Pickup. I do not have the Aux plug in the console. I am looking at this post thinking that there must be a way to wire an Aux input directly into the plug into the back of the head unit.

In reading what you have done, I am unsure of how I could do this which is why I am posting here. I was going to get a stereo mini jack plug to plug into my sat. radio, which I would then strip and wire into the plug into the rear of the head unit to the Aux Input pins. This would leave the AUX Input enable unwire, and it would not be connected to anything. Is there a way I could work this? Since you cut the white Aux input wire, then how does the radio even know if anything is connected, or is that the point? Would I just leave this wire unhooked, and the sat radio would work all the time as it would be wired in?

Also, I get the impression that you are a stereo installer, and I have been searching hard to find the pins that go into the 20 pin Toyota harness. From what I was told, if you order this harness (Toyota part number 90980-12258), you dont get the pins that go from the wires and clip into the harness. Do you have a source that you could get those from? This post is great, just what I needed to get my hopes up about making this work without an aux plug. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:13 PM
zw06
Default Thank you

Hey rtkota5point9,

Thank you so much for making this information available. You saved me at least $100 bucks and I can now freely listen to music during my daily commute.

Story:
I couldn't switch to AUX mode because of a poor connection on the Audio Jack. (I had to push and hold down the AUX cable to get a AUX signal on the radio).

Most of the audio places wanted to upsell me a new radio because the OEM replacement jack alone cost $100. A new radio would start at $150 and have more functionality. It almost seemed like a good deal.

Lucky for me, one of the mechanics knew of a hack for this kind of thing and we used your diagram to figure out the implementation for my car.

You totally made a difference in my life. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: How-To: Scion TC Aux Input