Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

REC to RER swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
claw92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REC to RER swap

I am new to forums and apologize if this has already been addressed. I attempted searching for this subject and could not locate any threads regarding the subject.
My question is: Can I swap out the REC nav unit in my 2006 Durango Limited with an RER unit from a later model? The joystick on my REC is defunct and from the research I did it appears to be a common problem. Thanks for any advice on the issue

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but it’s quite plug and play. You will need to get an adapter; the RER uses a newer canbus system than the 06’s. I got mine from Coastaltech, http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG_ADAPTER.htm. You will need to get a low-speed RER (there are high-speed and low-speed versions). Make sure the radio comes with a GPS antenna as the RER uses a different connection. And if you have Sirius, you will probably need to get an extension for the antenna, but I’m not sure where the receiver is in a Durango, unless you buy a new antenna. Also, the Sirius receiver is built into the RER radio, so you will need to transfer your subscription to the new radio.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said above you'll want the adapter, I've swapped a REN non-nav MyGig into my '05 Dakota and it's quite painless with that adapter. If the radio doesn't come with the Nav antenna you can buy it separately from a dealer (or possibly ebay) though I doubt it's super cheap. Don't know if you already have a unit in mind or not but any RER out of a low-speed bus vehicle should work for you, there's some great info including a list of which vehicles are low-speed or high-speed here: http://www.wkjeeps.com/Mygig_parts.htm

Quick Reply: REC to RER swap