Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

iPod Interface Cable Install for RER /Short Review

Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
GMONEY126
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboyg
Yup, mines an iPod video so that's probably what is going on. I just remounted the iPod to a cradle that I installed in the console with the ipod cable connected to the cradle. Works great and the iPod is now right in the console for me to unplug/replug if I have to.

Can you show me a pic of this. I'm interested if I can get the cable into the console. Sounds like you a found a way to do this but I'm not really grasping how you did it.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 PM
GMONEY126
Rookie

*bump

Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Monsoon

Originally Posted by jawsdc
thanks drober, now if they can figure out which cord to use on the REN w/o nav i'll be in business.
as far as the ipod battery draining, it is probably staying on after the truck is turned off. i had this same problem w/ my old tahoe. my 3rd gen ipod video would stay on after i turned the truck off but my wife's 1st gen mini would turn itself off when the ignition was turned off...
short story, there may be nothing to help that out other than manually turning it off when you exit the vehicle.
I have my iPod turned off and in the locked position. Then I connect it to the iPod cable. When it's plugged in it works as it should and it turns off with the truck - 30 seconds after leaving or locking vehicle.

Been in there for the past month - no problems.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Bboyg
Amateur

I purchased a cradle on ebay that looked like it would work to pass the audio out through the ipod connection cable. Most cradles do not do this. Most have audio out jacks for the sound. This is the cradle I bought:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...257C294%253A30

When it came it worked but the shape of it didn't fit well in the front portion of the console. I removed the metal cover. Then I trimmed the front edge of the cradle to match the angle of the inside edge of the console. It is plastic and easy to trim. After triming it I used some double stick tape to secure the cradle into the console. I installed the Dodge ipod cable and ran it down throught the top of the lower portion of the center instrument panel cover. I drilled the 1 1/8 hole in the top of the little cutout a the bottom. You can't see the hole when its back together. The cable just comes out of the hole and plugs into the rear of the cradle. Once it was done it worked great. My white iPod really stood out so I found a decal for it that matches the woodgrain in my Laramie. It's actually a pretty close match. Now I can easily disconnect and/or reconnect the iPod whenever I want.

Here's a link to a post w/ pictured I did about it on "another" site"
http://www.*********.com/forums/show...8&postcount=46
Post #46

*****Update -so this site for some reason will not allow a link to that other post and keeps replacing the site name with asterisks. Substitute d o d g e t a l k for the asterisks and it should work

Bill
2009 Laramie

Last edited by Bboyg; 09-23-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
P90XCoach
Amateur

Posted this on another thread but I wanted to post here as well:

Okay, I just finished installing the i-Pod integration cable and even though it is a pretty straight forward install, the instructions are worthless. Plus, just an little FYI, make sure you pull the trim off around the 12-volt plug and take the screw out. It took me a good 20 minutes to figure that one out. After all said and done, I am looking forward to many happy miles with the tunes.

Robert

Old 10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
nick bourgeois
Amateur

I have been doing some searching for a ipod cable for the non nav REN. I think i have found one from the dealership, $45. I think you have to have Uconnect. From what i have found is the cable connects to the bluetooth box on the passenger side, behind the glove box. I looked at the box and do not see another hole for a plug, so scared to buy it. I will get the part number soon.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

For my own sanity .. I have an 09 Ram Laramie, loaded - RER system, etc. I ordered part number 82211853. Took apart the dash, the works ... unplugged the cables from the radio, plugged them in to the new cable and then the new cable in to the head unit. The radio was black, wouldn't even turn on. Zippy!! From my perspective it couldn't be any more straight forward of an install, but when nothing happens, I always question me first, before the part. I plugged my original wire back in to test it ... that works fine ... re-hooked up the new cable and again, nothing. Needless to say, I'm sending that cable back (appeared that it may have been used) and hoping it's just a bad cable.

It really is just plug and play right?! I am using the correct part number right?? Or am I supposed to be using #82212001??? Any thoughts where I could have gone wrong or anyone care to confirm that it's just a bad part???

Thanks!!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

I haven't gotten my new cable yet to try this again ... and now after checking another site on upgrading my RER software, I'm wondering it was a software issue rather than a bad cable. I'm DL'ing the latest update now (2.401 from http://mofv.com/mygig/BBS/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2937). I have NEVER updated my software ... anyone know if this will help my cause or just muddy the water?!

Thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

Quick update - that's not the most recent update ... check out this site for all the software updates: http://mofv.com/mygig/

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

Ok -- I'll stop after this, but thought I'd post my update. This afternoon I did to a software update for my radio ... that was a PIA all it's own, but got 'er done. The mailman brought my new cable today, so I ripped apart the dash and installed it. It all worked!! Not sure if it was the cable, the software update or both - guessing both, but she worked and I'm happy. Now I just want to find the right spot to run the cable - would prefer the console and it's done. Did I mention I was happy?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPod Interface Cable Install for RER /Short Review