Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Aux in for factory RBQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 AM
codiac
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux in for factory RBQ

So I found the 6 CD's wasn't enough and wanted to hook my Zune up, but without buying an aftermarket stereo. I didn't want to pay over $100 for the Mopar ipod hookup, so I found this Terk XMDCHY100 which is supposed to be for adding XM to your factory radio, but also has audio in for external XM devices. I found it on eBay for $15, score! It plugs into the sat. radio connector on the radio, and adds "XM" to the source list. When on XM, anything coming through the audio in plays. To take it another step, I hit up radio shack and wired my RCA's to a headphone jack, and drilled into the dash, adding an Aux in like you see on newer models!

Here's the module.
Name:  IMG_0190.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  42.1 KB

Fit's right behind the glove box next to the amp.
Name:  IMG_0192.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  46.2 KB

Audio in, as well as the XM in cable.
Name:  IMG_0191.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  42.2 KB

Radio shows "XM" and loading when I'm playing music.

Audio in on the dash blank. Could go anywhere, I had this place with nothing so I put it here. I thought about the blank next to my E cutout switch and heated seats, but this was easier, and removable.
Name:  IMG_0194.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  43.4 KB

Nice clean setup that I can put away. The alternative is to run RCA's to headphone out of the glove box, which is what I did for awhile, but it wasn't as clean, and limited my reach to as long of an RCA cable as I had. This allows me to add a really long headphone cable, for either the backseat passengers, or even out in the bed.
Name:  IMG_0196.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  60.9 KB

Here's the headphone jack from radio shack....2.99 for 2. The Terk came with an RCA you can hack up and solder on to this.

Last edited by codiac; 07-19-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM
draco8494
Captain

sweeeet, if i had a 6disc changer i would have done this but i only had the cd player and you get much better tunability out of an aftermarket, but sweet mod my friend

Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM
jimbo3396
Amateur

Looks great! How does it sound?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 PM
codiac
Professional

Sound is perfect, just as good as coming out of the CD or Radio. Sure beats the FM tuners, and I didn't want to mess with aftermarket right now.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:51 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

THAT's an ***-kicker, I've been trying to figure out how to do that with my RAH (stereo's are pretty much the only thing in a vehicle that I'm not too proficient at). I think I'm going to do just that. Sweeeet.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:21 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

why can't you do this WITHOUT the 6 cd changer?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
codiac
Professional

I don't see why you can't. I think the big thing is the non-6 disc changer radio's will accept more aftermarket Aux in adapters, i think the brand is P.I.E. that makes the popular adapters. All those say they don't work w/ the RBQ, I took a chance on this one and it worked. Not sure if something like this would work with the RBQ, it says specifically it doesn't, but mine looks quite similar.
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02aux.html

I *think* from what I've read is the aux in from PIE and others use the CD changer option on non-changer radio's to get audio in, meaning the display show's CD when listening. My adapter uses the Sat. Radio option to get audio in, since on the RBQ, even with the proper port on the back, the internal CD changer is already "in use".

Kind of rambling on the subject, but I use the Aux In daily, and if you don't have one on your stock radio, you need one. Even if you just run a cable out of the glove box, it's a great addition.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

I bought a cheap pioneer just for the AUX in. But its a single DIN so it doesn't look too good, but think I'll stick with it for now. No sense spending more for something I already have.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
why can't you do this WITHOUT the 6 cd changer?
You can, all the factory head units have the same plugs pretty much in the back. No one said you could only do it with cd changer HU.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Coaster63

this is perfect! its exactlly what i want to do! well hopfully! i have an 05 with the 6 disk changer but i dont have an XM selection if i scroll through the modes(am,fm,cd). does that only activate when you plug in the xm box?

Quick Reply: Aux in for factory RBQ