Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Aftermarket Head unit for stock infinity sound system

Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 PM
HouseApe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Head unit for stock infinity sound system

The Search is not working

My radio is now dead and I'm thinking of replacing it with an aftermarket head unit. Only looking to replace the head unit and not spend a ton of cash in the process.

I have a 2005 ram with the Infinity Sound system and steering wheel controls.

What is the recommended head unit (might go double DIN) that will work with the steering wheel controls and what interface kit do I need.

Also how to use the stock speakers and infinity amp? Is there an interface kit for this too as the amp uses PCI communication for turn on.

Last what antenna adapter is recommended?

Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
RUSSELLO
Smile Ram 1500 mega cab

I always go to crutchfield.com when i have questions about car audio. You may give them a call or chat live with someone. I share some of your same questions and went there to look at some products to upgrade my infinity system.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 PM
lficke
Amateur

Go to crutchfiled ..like Russello said thay will help and have all the parts you need...Helped me alot!!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

cheapest is to go single din.

best and nicest is to go double din and you already know i make the bezels for those

any head unit will interface with the steering wheel remotes with the use of an add on like this

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hXwO2W6...X.html?tp=3405

i standard wiring harness will interface between your new head unit and the oem wiring to ensure all your oem gear will work with your new unit

no antenna interface is needed

Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 AM
WBattack
Rookie

First off, weed is wrong!

You need an antenna adapter (40-cr10) . Second, standard harness will not work. You need Metra part # chto-02. And if you don't get sound you'll have to bypass the amp (above glovebox) with harness 70-6510, And unless your cutting the dash, a Double Din will not fit.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Might wanna read several of the threads we have on this as it is a common question.

Doing a double din isn't hard at all. Like I said, I make those bezels. When i said you could use a standard harness, yes, there are two. One is for the non infinity and is for the Infinity. Obviously, the one for the Infinity, which he has and would get, would power the OEM amp, turn it on and produce sound.

As for the antenna, you don't need anything special or nothing to change sizes or anything like that. You do need to lengthen your antenna and the best and cheapest way is to get a standard antenna from a junk yard. Run it from the head unit, behind the glove box and behind the pass side kick panel there is an antenna coupler that connects to the antenna mast. Disconnect the old and connect your new.

As for running a non Infinity harness, to do one better than that is to simply buy a 100ft roll of 12ga wire and run new wire to the doors and either to the back of the head unit or to the amp and leave all the small gauge OEM wiring alone.

Then all you need to do is tap into the OEM harness or cig lighter for power and ground.

Most guys who do this are running amps and like me, pushing 800 watts to the doors alone with thin 18 of 20 ga OEM wiring won't cut it.

Bypassing the amp with an after market head unit and stock infinity speakers will sound like crap because the speakers are frequency set because the OEM amp does it that way. In other words, the front 6x9s in the doors won't play highs, ect.

Last edited by weedahoe; 10-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head unit for stock infinity sound system