Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

RES to RHR upgrade DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Rob-GG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RES to RHR upgrade DONE!

OK, so I'm finally done with my radio upgrade on my 2011 Ram. It came with the RES radio with Satelite Radio and No Uconnect. After weeks of research, I came to the conclusion that because of the "not quite" double din size of the Ram radios, an aftermarket radio was going to be a big pain in the ***. So I decided on a factory RHR radio for ease of install and compatibility. Off to the dealer I went. They clearly had NO idea about upgrading a radio. But after I walked them through what I needed they gave me a "discount" quote of $1900 for the radio, $400 for the rear camera and $75 for the microphone needed for the Uconnect for a grand total of $2375. Plan B- There is a company called OEMAUTOPARTSCO.COM. They specialize in MyGig radios. I spoke to a guy named Doug. This guy knew these systems inside and out. He answered all my questions quickly and accurately. I purchased an RHR radio for $1299, a mini microphone for $55 and a Lockpick V4 combo for $200 (pricematch). So for $1550 I was set up with a great system including NAV, Uconnect, Sat Radio ECT ECT. It took about an hour and a half to install. All plug and play. No cutting any wires. This was really a simple install. I also bought a rear view cam from another company for about $50. The lockpick has ALL the connections for the cam including the video input, ground and power. It all connects to this little box and you DO NOT need the dealer to turn it on. Everything worked flawlessly. If you are thinking of doing a similar upgrade, I would definitely start at OEMAUTO. Its very difficult to get info on this subjet, so if you have any specific questions post them here. I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 PM
White2500
Amateur

Pics?? Of the swap if you have

Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 AM
CUHEMI10
Amateur

Where did you install the Camera? did you get the OEM tailgate handle and fit the camera into it?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
=XE=Kong

Any links for camera and radio?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet and congrats, but it sounds like a hell of a lot of $$ to spend on a radio that is limited. These stock radio's are extremely limited, I had the RES upgraded to a touch screen then sold it and put in a 2012 Kenwood ddX419 and it REALLY opened up my infiniti reference speakers, total night and day. Just my .02.....

Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Rob-GG

Originally Posted by White2500
Pics?? Of the swap if you have
Here are some pics. The second pic is the wiring harness that comes with the lockpick. The large gray and white plugs go into the radio and the factory harness then plugs into the lockpick harness. The cables that go out of the pic to the right are about 2 or 3 feet long and eventually plug into the lockpick. They also have all of the power and grounds you need for cameras ect. The yellow, white and red cables are the audio/video inputs and outputs for things like Iphone input, rear camera or an output to headrest monitors or something similar. The third pic is the camera I bought. As you can see it's a 45 degree angle. I planned on mounting it in the tailgate handle where the factory one would go. Unfortunately, I realized that the 4th gen tailgate handles are already angled so the cam was pointed straight down. I returned that one and I am waiting for the new one to arrive. That one has no angle and will mount in the same place. I got the cam at Sonicelectronix.com. Its a flush mount cam made by Crimestopper. Ill put some pics of that install when I do it. The pic of the other wires is the harness for the cam. You can see a red and black wire and a yellow video cable. That ALL plugs into the lockpick harness. No cutting at all. I have a couple of other pics too but this thing only allowed me to post 5 at a time. I'll try to post the others somewhere too. Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails RES to RHR upgrade DONE!-dsc01782.jpg   RES to RHR upgrade DONE!-dsc01784.jpg   RES to RHR upgrade DONE!-dsc01787.jpg   RES to RHR upgrade DONE!-dsc01788.jpg   RES to RHR upgrade DONE!-dsc01789.jpg  

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Rob-GG

Originally Posted by =XE=Kong
Any links for camera and radio?
I got the radio and lockpick at OEMAUTOPARTSCO.COM. I was very happy with the whole transaction and would recommend them to anyone. The camera I ordered from Sonicelectronix.com. They seem to have cameras for just about any application.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Rob-GG

Well, I tried post more pics but I guess Im at my limit. It seems like some guys have alot more pics on here than I do, but anyway. When I finish the camera install I'll delete the ones on here and post some new ones.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Rob-GG

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
sweet and congrats, but it sounds like a hell of a lot of $$ to spend on a radio that is limited. These stock radio's are extremely limited, I had the RES upgraded to a touch screen then sold it and put in a 2012 Kenwood ddX419 and it REALLY opened up my infiniti reference speakers, total night and day. Just my .02.....
Yes you are correct about the money. But I am very picky about what goes on or in my truck. I've seen some posts on here from guys with aftermarket radios. They all seem to have to use spacers to fill the dash opening and adapters to get steering wheel controls to work ect ect. I wanted something that looks like it belongs there and can take advantage of the little things you get with a factory setup. For instance, I was surprised to see that when you have the radio navigating you somewhere, the turns you are supposed to take show up in the EVIC as well. Thats pretty cool and allows you to not have to have the map view on to see where you are supposed to go. And as far as functionality goes, if you add the lockpick, it unlocks the whole radio. There are more functions on there than I'll ever use. I can't think of anything else I could possibly need this radio to do. Anyway, I do like some of the aftermarket stuff and was seriously considering one, but in the end it's worth the money to me to get something that I'm happy looking at every day.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob-GG
Yes you are correct about the money. But I am very picky about what goes on or in my truck. I've seen some posts on here from guys with aftermarket radios. They all seem to have to use spacers to fill the dash opening and adapters to get steering wheel controls to work ect ect. I wanted something that looks like it belongs there and can take advantage of the little things you get with a factory setup. For instance, I was surprised to see that when you have the radio navigating you somewhere, the turns you are supposed to take show up in the EVIC as well. Thats pretty cool and allows you to not have to have the map view on to see where you are supposed to go. And as far as functionality goes, if you add the lockpick, it unlocks the whole radio. There are more functions on there than I'll ever use. I can't think of anything else I could possibly need this radio to do. Anyway, I do like some of the aftermarket stuff and was seriously considering one, but in the end it's worth the money to me to get something that I'm happy looking at every day.
I hear yah bro, that's good as long as you are happy. I had to add spacers to my radio b/c it's all touch screen and only buttons on the driver side unlike the stock radios where it's buttons on both sides. Here's a link to the radio that I installed and you can see the spacers I had to use etc etc. Does it sound any better than the RES radio? When I added my stock touch screen it sounded better than the RES radio, then I replaced the door speakers w infiniti reference speakers and it sounds awesome now!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...ml#post2722375

Quick Reply: RES to RHR upgrade DONE!