I am renting a 2013 Dodge Charger RT for monthly durations. It has Uconnect 8.4 RE2 without navigation. I touched the Satellite icon for Traffic, evidently too hard, and the touchscreen glass broke and has spider cracks to about 1/2 of the touchscreen. None of the touchscreen icons work now.
Is there a replacement touchscreen only for the Uconnect 8.4 RE2? I've searched these forums and the internet and have come up with no info on replacing the touchscreen only. I contacted the forum recommended oemautopartsco.com, but they also did not have anything.
I have to turn in the car to the rental company for their monthly "touchy/feely" inspection and renewal on November 2nd and am afraid they will see the spider cracks in the glass and charge me a fortune to replace it.
Does anyone know where to get a replacement Touchscreen only? I'm desperate at this point. I'm confident I can replace the touchscreen myself after my experiences with my daily driver 2006 GTO's radio and dash module problems.
Thanks for any help you can give me. And the Charger RT is the best rental car I've ever driven! I want to continue renting it until my project is completed in Feb. 2014.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
To All Uconnect 8.4 victims of Cracked Touchscreen Glass.
I found out how to replace the touchscreen only! I removed the broken glass touchscreen in an attempt to fix it (removing was rather simple by removing the large dash bezel and unscrewing 4 screws and disconnecting 3 electrical connectors).
1. I found out the Touchscreen is Dodge Part # is 5064798. There are a few suffixes; AD, AE, AF, AG, AH but they evidently do not matter.
2. Dodge wants $916 plus taxes for a replacement touchscreen only, or more than my replacement 50" LED TV that broke about the time my Charger touchscreen broke.
3. I checked salvage yards by Google searching 2013 Dodge Charger Touchscreen Part# 5064798. Searching for used parts sure has come a long way quickly!
4. I received almost immediate replies from two companies.
5. Sam's Riverside Auto & Truck Parts in Des Moines Iowa had two of them. Cost was $465 + shipping.
6. By the time I called them the next day they were down to only 1 touchscreen. They stated both sold in less than 2 weeks, which they said was very unusual.
7. The touchscreen is shown to be the same for 2011, 2012, 2013 Dodge Chargers. 8. My replacement used touchscreen came from a 2011 Charger, was easily installed and works just fine.
9. In fact the used 2011 touchscreen is MORE sensitive than the broken 2013 and reacts to touch a lot better!! Perhaps FIAT has breathed on the 2013 version to make it inferior.
10. I received a private message from another Dodge Forum member who also is a victim of the broken glass touchscreen defect. Her dealer said they would not cover replacement since they had "never heard of the glass breaking before."
10. Since the supply of used touchscreens has dried up, I believe this is evidence of Dodge producing a defective part and in need of recall.
11. Although I successfully turned in the Hemi Charger rental (without any issues regarding the replacement touchscreen), I am available to any Dodge Forum members who are victims of broken glass touchscreens where Dodge dealers denied any responsibility for replacement. The 2013 touchscreen was broken by normal touching, not me being in a rage, and it is obvious that the 2011 touchscreen is far superior.
PS: And having the Hemi Charger for several months commuting 250 miles/week for work was a real pleasure!! (except the touchscreen)