Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 AM
mmark27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsdbs
mmark27,
No, it will be fixed and is currently being worked on. The issue that I have found out is that there are several issues that Samsung is having with Android versions 4.3 & 4.4.2. There are issues with other vehicle lines also and some of the other vehicle mfg's won't even pair up to the phone and there's some ear buds having issues. So this is where the timing is becoming a problem, if our issue was the only one then it would be easy. What I'm being told is that they plan on a maintenance update late this month - early July.
I want to believe. I truly do and since I have no choice, I'll just continue to wait. By no means does this reflect to your communication efforts xsdbs, but I find it extremely hard to believe that this issue would take over a year to fix??? I mean these are the developers that built the phone and know the bluetooth stack. Sure the CDMA frequencies might be hard to replicate in Korea, but Dodge isn't using some crazy implementation of bluetooth here. I know that the iphone seems to work fine with this, correct me if I'm wrong, but pairing up my sister's iphone with my car and testing it thoroughly over a road trip, it worked every time. Some comments over on G+ on one of Dodge's Uconnect posts might be different with the iphone there, where not everyone has success.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 AM
MinnetonkaBoater
Default FIXED! Kind of, sort of.

FIXED! Kind of sort of. I have found a work around that works on a sometimes basis. First, you place the call from the handset. I wish I could voice dial, but this doesn't work as well when you do that. Here is the procedure that you follow:

1) Get the number to be dialed on the screen, either looking up the contact or by the keypad, then push the the dial key, aka, the green phone.

2) As soon as the screen changes to the call in progress screen look for the "headset key" on the lower right to turn green.

3) Push the headset key, to turn the Bluetooth connection to the car off. (It sounds dumb, but do it)
4) The car will reconnect and turn the headset back on, and your connection will work.

There is some timing involved, but once you get used to doing this procedure you can expect close to 90% success on not having the call dropped.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 AM
mmark27
Rookie

Originally Posted by MinnetonkaBoater
FIXED! Kind of sort of. I have found a work around that works on a sometimes basis. First, you place the call from the handset. I wish I could voice dial, but this doesn't work as well when you do that. Here is the procedure that you follow:

1) Get the number to be dialed on the screen, either looking up the contact or by the keypad, then push the the dial key, aka, the green phone.

2) As soon as the screen changes to the call in progress screen look for the "headset key" on the lower right to turn green.

3) Push the headset key, to turn the Bluetooth connection to the car off. (It sounds dumb, but do it)
4) The car will reconnect and turn the headset back on, and your connection will work.

There is some timing involved, but once you get used to doing this procedure you can expect close to 90% success on not having the call dropped.
I stumbled upon this accidentally once as I didn't want the call on the speakers, yet it connected to them to my surprise, and it did seem to work for me a few times, but it is very, very timing based. The issue I have with this is that when I dial on my phone it is rarely even picked up by my Uconnect that I'm dialing out. So my music keeps playing and nothing ever happens. BUT if I use the Uconnect to find the name (43% chance of that working), this toggle method does work.

I found another bug in the Uconnect that's a real Uconnect bug and not attributed to Samsung. Since the text message announcement is very annoying, long and uninformative, I've disabled the announcement when text is received in the settings menu of Uconnect. This works if you are listening to the radio or your HDD. However, if you are streaming music from your phone (or using phone navigation, etc.) the incoming text message announcement still comes through despite the setting turned off.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the incoming SMS announcement, is this the same Uconnect voice prompt or is it only a sound?

Originally Posted by mmark27
I stumbled upon this accidentally once as I didn't want the call on the speakers, yet it connected to them to my surprise, and it did seem to work for me a few times, but it is very, very timing based. The issue I have with this is that when I dial on my phone it is rarely even picked up by my Uconnect that I'm dialing out. So my music keeps playing and nothing ever happens. BUT if I use the Uconnect to find the name (43% chance of that working), this toggle method does work.

I found another bug in the Uconnect that's a real Uconnect bug and not attributed to Samsung. Since the text message announcement is very annoying, long and uninformative, I've disabled the announcement when text is received in the settings menu of Uconnect. This works if you are listening to the radio or your HDD. However, if you are streaming music from your phone (or using phone navigation, etc.) the incoming text message announcement still comes through despite the setting turned off.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM
mmark27
Rookie

Originally Posted by xsdbs
On the incoming SMS announcement, is this the same Uconnect voice prompt or is it only a sound?
It is the full incoming text Uconnect voice prompt as if you have the setting turned to "on".

Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM
xsdbs
Captain

I have mentioned initiating the call from the handset in prior replies.
The reason why it works by turning the phones BT off and then back on is because Uconnect doesn't query the phone about the calls if the call isn't placed thru Uconnect.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:40 AM
MinnetonkaBoater

You did? I must not have seen it, sorry. Just thought for the frustrated (like me) that will actually never get resolve until we change phones or cars, a posted workaround would be nice. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM
xsdbs
Captain

It's ok, You didn't step on my toes.
As I did also mention, Samsung is working on this issue along with others that they're having with Android 4.3 & 4.4. There are plans to have the SW update released the end of this month - early next month.

You did? I must not have seen it, sorry. Just thought for the frustrated (like me) that will actually never get resolve until we change phones or cars, a posted workaround would be nice. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Sounds like the phone isn't responding to the BT message from Uconnect to turn it off. Can you try a rebooting of the phone? Remove the battery for a few minutes then reinsert it and try it again.

Originally Posted by mmark27
It is the full incoming text Uconnect voice prompt as if you have the setting turned to "on".

Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 AM
ChadBuckyman

I am having the same "phone call completed" issues that have rendered BT basically useless for outbound dialing. Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon) and UConnect in a 2012 Ram. Are there any updates that there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect