Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

OEM Radio compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM
brokenarrow321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Radio compatibility?

Hi all, I'm trying to put a cd player in my father's 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. He is old (and easily confused) and doesn't need a premium aftermarket radio like the extras I have laying around, so I figured I would pick up a cheap OEM cd player from the junk yard or ebay.

Neither of these pictures are the actual stereos in question, just examples of the two styles I'm asking about. My question is, in picture 001, is the 2 bolt tape deck that I believe he has in there now. Can I mount the 4 bolt style cleanly and have the proper wire hookups if I wanted to go to that style? Obviously I know the original holes are different, just didn't know about the rest of the radio's body or if it would not work out at all? I'm only asking because I seem to find more of the 4 bolt style radios for a lot less than the 2 bolt styles, plus they are usually a little newer than 1998 so maybe I'll get more life out of it? Has anyone ever done this, I'm not really a dodge guy so I'm not too familiar with the interchanges, etc. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails OEM Radio compatibility?-001.jpg   OEM Radio compatibility?-factory-stereo-r-1125-main-image-1.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM
brokenarrow321

Can anyone help me out here??

Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not just go buy a cheap used after market unit off Craigslist or eBay or a pawn shop so you have something you know will work?

Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 PM
brokenarrow321

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Why not just go buy a cheap used after market unit off Craigslist or eBay or a pawn shop so you have something you know will work?
Hi all, I'm trying to put a cd player in my father's 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. He is old (and easily confused) and doesn't need a premium aftermarket radio like the extras I have laying around, so I figured I would pick up a cheap OEM cd player from the junk yard or ebay.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Whats in it now? You would probably have to get a radio with CD player from the same year as the Cherokee. Go to a junk yard and start poking around. As a side note, if he is old and easily confused, are you sure you want him fumbling around with CD's while he is driving?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM
brokenarrow321

He's got a stock tape deck (which no longer works) with a discman and a tape adapter. That's why I'm looking for a stock replacement......he won't understand how to use a Kenwood lol.

Quick Reply: OEM Radio compatibility?