Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2011 Uconnect / Samsung Galaxy S5 issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:19 AM
MajorBlam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Uconnect / Samsung Galaxy S5 issue

Good Morning all,

I've been a long time member of some of the other Dodge and Ram forums and haven't had much luck finding info about my most recent issue (and I have had many) with my Uconnect system; I found your forum this morning and after browsing around it for a couple of hours I was quite impressed with the level of knowledge shared here, especially from xsdbs, so I decided to join up to see if someone can shed a little light on my most recent Uconnect issue.

Like most everyone else my RBZ has gone thru the BlueTooth streaming/poor audio quality/broken SMS notification/software update/replacement HFM dance. Once this 18 MONTH dance was over everything worked properly for the most part with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I just recently switch carriers and upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I am now faced with a totally new issue (well actually two).

The first issue, by no means a big issue deal breaker, is outgoing SMS messages fail the first time the truck is started and the phone is locked; once unlocked all other SMS messages send OK. The second issue, and the biggest from my perspective is now when I receive any SMS messages Uconnect reports them as "from no number available". I found a previous post where xsdbs posted some snippets from a trace he performed and it was something to do with the device not reporting the cellular number or something like that from CDMA devices... My S5 is not CDMA, has a SIM card etc... I have a hard time believing that an S5 is less capable than an S4 so I'm reaching out to the experts for some advice/suggestions.

If anyone needs version numbers/build numbers/mfg dates I'm happy to supply whatever you need, just drop me a line and I'll post them up.

Thanks in Advance,

Blam

Old 03-07-2015, 10:22 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning Blam,
Well first, let me say welcome to this forum, now let me see if I can help you out a little.
1) you mentioned that you had ab S4 which worked fine but now the S5 doesn't. You change your carrier, may I ask who you currently have and who you left?
2) You went thru the 18 month dance mostly because the newer phones since 2012 have continued to change rapidly. Prior to 2012 the Uconnect module that you had in your vehicle pretty much supported all the features that phones were offering and supporting at that time. The HW in the module was pretty well tapped out and had little room left even for SW updates.
In 2012 the Uconnect module in your vehicle ( I say "in your vehicle" because there are 3 different Uconnect suppliers for Chrysler because of the many different radios that they have and who the radio company wants to build for them) went thru many changes which included the support of MAP (Message Access Profile) which is needed for SMS texting. A change in the Bitpool values for better sound quality (the phones suddenly changer their values in order to have stereo sound instead of a mono signal) as well as a few other changes. So when you started having issues, they were because the phones changed and went passed the supported features of the Uconnect system. You see there's no crystal ball out there for any SW developer to use on their device that will tell them what the phone MFG's will (and are) doing to develop their new products. So if the phone changes after the SW has been written for a device then it's quite possible to have incompatibly issues. So in 2012, the supplier for your system did some upgrades to the HW and SW which helped with some issues. Just like the phone MFG's making changes, the networks also make changes. The Uconnect suppliers don't have open checkbooks from Chrysler to constantly have a SW team doing updates to keep up with all the many different phones or even Network changes. It's easier for the networks and phone MFG's to stay compatible with the BT car kits and other BT devices inn the market currently. They are developed according to BT specs, so with a little testing they can determine if there will be issues when they come to market. But it seems that there is always a rush to get their new phone out and then fix it later.
By what you have said, it sounds that the last time the dealer took care of an issue for you, they replaced your module (did they replace it) with a 2012 unit. I say this because you mentioned that the S4 worked fine including texting. I believe that in 2012 Samsung stopped supporting texting by using "AT" commands and went strictly to MAP.

3) You mentioned that your S5 is not on a CDMA network because it has a "SIM card". At on time this would have be the tell tale of whether it was CDMA or GSM but now it's really not. This is because the CDMA networks are using SIMS on 4G & LTE phones and have been for a couple years. So it is possible that the new network is actually a CDMA network.
4) Ok, so now on to the texting issue, you said that it fails when you first get into the vehicle. May I ask how soon after getting into the vehicle are you trying to use the text feature? The MAP profile is one of the last profiles to be loaded when you get into the vehicle, turn the key on, the Uconnect module powers up and then starts the bonding process. So texting abilities can take a couple minutes or so before it actually usable.

5) So with that all said, if the module did get replaced with a 2012 unit, then there is a TSB that was released last Dec (2014) that takes care of a couple issues including the "unknown number". I guess that the best way to determine more information on the module is to take a picture and post it for me. Am I correct in assuming that the vehicle is a RAM? If so then drop the glovebox down toward the floor, look inside the dash cavity and to the far right side. You'll see a module there that is about 4"x6". That's the module that I'd like to see.
Thanks

Originally Posted by MajorBlam
Good Morning all,

I've been a long time member of some of the other Dodge and Ram forums and haven't had much luck finding info about my most recent issue (and I have had many) with my Uconnect system; I found your forum this morning and after browsing around it for a couple of hours I was quite impressed with the level of knowledge shared here, especially from xsdbs, so I decided to join up to see if someone can shed a little light on my most recent Uconnect issue.

Like most everyone else my RBZ has gone thru the BlueTooth streaming/poor audio quality/broken SMS notification/software update/replacement HFM dance. Once this 18 MONTH dance was over everything worked properly for the most part with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I just recently switch carriers and upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I am now faced with a totally new issue (well actually two).

The first issue, by no means a big issue deal breaker, is outgoing SMS messages fail the first time the truck is started and the phone is locked; once unlocked all other SMS messages send OK. The second issue, and the biggest from my perspective is now when I receive any SMS messages Uconnect reports them as "from no number available". I found a previous post where xsdbs posted some snippets from a trace he performed and it was something to do with the device not reporting the cellular number or something like that from CDMA devices... My S5 is not CDMA, has a SIM card etc... I have a hard time believing that an S5 is less capable than an S4 so I'm reaching out to the experts for some advice/suggestions.

If anyone needs version numbers/build numbers/mfg dates I'm happy to supply whatever you need, just drop me a line and I'll post them up.

Thanks in Advance,

Blam

Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 AM
MajorBlam

'morning xsdbs,

thanks for the reply, answers to your questions are as follows

1) S4 was on Bell Mobility and just switched to the S5 on Telus... there were no SMS issues with the S4

2) When i joked about the 18 month "dance" it was because I litterally fought with my dealer for 18 months to have the issues corrected. I had to take the truck to another dealer, and they were the ones who actually replaced the HFM to get things working properly. I'm not dissing on anyone and after being an IT/software engineer for 25+ years I know how quickly things change and how long it can take to get bug fixes and updates out into the field

3) Back in the day Telus phones never used SIM cards so I guess it is possible that they have not changed their network infrastructure and are, in fact, still a CDMA network running 4G/LTE

4) The initial outgoing SMS text fails within the first minute or so of starting the truck, for instance, I get off work, start the truck, let the phone pair up then text the warden to tell her I am on my way home and I get the "failed message". By the time it takes me to pick up the S5, unlock it and try it again the message sends correctly. The next time I start up, I'll wait a few extra minutes before I try to send out and see what happens.

5) HFM module pic is attached

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Uconnect / Samsung Galaxy S5 issue-20150307_114141.jpg  
Old 03-07-2015, 03:23 PM
xsdbs
Captain

ok, cool. Now I have the information that I need to help you further. soo, lets see now:

Thanks for the picture, it helps. You do have the most current SW version up to last Dec when Chrysler came out with a TSB. The TSB # is 08-112-14. This TSB has a couple fixes including the "unknown number" issue.
This issue is originally because Uconnect looks for a (+)1 within the senders phone number for the country code and the phone isn't sending it. But it does for incoming calls. So now Uconnect will look for it and if it doesn't see the (+)1, then it'll compare the number to the numbers in the phonebook, then display that ID.
You have a choice of how to fix this:
1) you can go to the dealer and have them apply it for you,

OR

2) you can apply it yourself by downloading the file from my medifire link that I'll place below along with the instructions:

1) Download the file from the Mediafire link that I sent you.
2) Save the file to a thumb drive that has been formatted to FAT32.
3) Rename the file by deleting (Android1) so that the file reads uconnect.upn.
4) Place the thumb drive into the USB connector (I’m not sure which radio that you have but if it’s a touchscreen radio, don’t use the USB connector on the radio faceplate. You must use the remote USB connector that is attached to the Uconnect module)
5) Press & release the Uconnect phone button and say “set up, software update”.
6) Uconnect will respond with “starting SW update and you will now start hearing beeps, the beeps will go for about 20- 25 minutes (however, I have been told that some thumb drives have taken a little longer due to their transfer speed). Once you hear that the beeps have ended, the update is finished. Uconnect will go thru a reboot now.
7) If while you’re doing the patch, you hear an error message stating “the digital signature is……….”, please try a different thumb drive.
Please let me know how it goes, ok
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8z...1)uconnect.upn

According to Wikipedia, Telus is a CDMA network.

Telus Mobility
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Telus Mobility Inc.
Telus logo.svg
Type
Subsidiary
Industry Mobile network operator
Founded Alberta (1984)
Headquarters Alberta, Canada
Products Feature phones, mobile broadband modems, smartphones (Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Windows Phone), tablet computers
Services CDMA2000 (including EV-DO), HSPA (including HSPA+), LTE, mobile broadband, SMS, telephony
Parent Telus
Website www.telusmobility.com/en/
Telus Mobility is a division of Telus which sells wireless services in Canada on its numerous networks. It currently has three different networks based on four different technologies: CDMA, HSPA+, and LTE on its mainstream networks, plus iDEN via its Mike division. As of Q4 2014, TELUS is Canada's second largest cellphone provider with a subscriber base of over 8.30 million.[1]

As of 2014, TELUS Mobility has completed the purchase of Public Mobile. Public Mobile operates as a MVNO on the Telus 4G network. The purchase of Public Mobile increased TELUS' subcriber base to 8.3 million.

Since 2008, TELUS has operated a MVNO named Koodo Mobile. Koodo is targeted at high school, college and university students, much like the now-defunct Amp'd Mobile Canada that preceded it in 2007.

'morning xsdbs,

thanks for the reply, answers to your questions are as follows

1) S4 was on Bell Mobility and just switched to the S5 on Telus... there were no SMS issues with the S4

2) When i joked about the 18 month "dance" it was because I litterally fought with my dealer for 18 months to have the issues corrected. I had to take the truck to another dealer, and they were the ones who actually replaced the HFM to get things working properly. I'm not dissing on anyone and after being an IT/software engineer for 25+ years I know how quickly things change and how long it can take to get bug fixes and updates out into the field

3) Back in the day Telus phones never used SIM cards so I guess it is possible that they have not changed their network infrastructure and are, in fact, still a CDMA network running 4G/LTE

4) The initial outgoing SMS text fails within the first minute or so of starting the truck, for instance, I get off work, start the truck, let the phone pair up then text the warden to tell her I am on my way home and I get the "failed message". By the time it takes me to pick up the S5, unlock it and try it again the message sends correctly. The next time I start up, I'll wait a few extra minutes before I try to send out and see what happens.

5) HFM module pic is attached

Old 03-07-2015, 04:26 PM
MajorBlam

Most excellent, thanks for the info/explanation and the update. I will download it and perform the update tonight and reply back with the results.

Thanks again, you are wicked awesome

Old 03-07-2015, 05:34 PM
MajorBlam

OK, so here is how things went...

I downloaded the update file and performed the update as per your instructions using the remote USB port in the upper dash. The update took about 25min and did not produce any errors, when the update was complete the screen returned t the normal radio display. I held the Uconnect button once it was done and saw the version was updated to B:63.03.05 V:HS:d2

When I tested SMS functionality Uconnect stated the connected phone did not support SMS messaging. I went ahead and deleted the BT pairing and re-paired my phone successfully, received the popup on my phone to allow Uconnect access to my contacts and SMS messages. When I tested outgoing SMS Uconnect said the message was sent successfully, but the wife never received it on her phone. When I had her text me I got it on my phone but it never came thru the Uconnect. The only thing out of the ordinary I noticed was when I took the key out of the ignition to come into the house I saw "downloading address book" pop up for a split second on the screen and then disappear...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your time and effort, I really appreciate it

Old 03-07-2015, 05:48 PM
MajorBlam

I downloaded the update file and performed the update as per your instructions using the remote USB port in the upper dash. The update took about 25min and did not produce any errors, when the update was complete the screen returned t the normal radio display. I held the Uconnect button once it was done and saw the version was updated to B:63.03.05 V:HS:d2

When I tested SMS functionality Uconnect stated the connected phone did not support SMS messaging. I went ahead and deleted the BT pairing and re-paired my phone successfully, received the popup on my phone to allow Uconnect access to my contacts and SMS messages. When I tested outgoing SMS Uconnect said the message was sent successfully, but the wife never received it on her phone. When I had her text me I got it on my phone but it never came thru the Uconnect. The only thing out of the ordinary I noticed was when I took the key out of the ignition to come into the house I saw "downloading address book" pop up for a split second on the screen and then disappear...

Any thoughts?

***Update***

I also confirmed that confirmation prompts and SMS notifications were still turned on if that helps

Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 PM
xsdbs
Captain

It sounds like the phonebook download was interrupted at some point and the was continuing when you saw that on the screen. As I mentioned MAP is the last profile process so depending on how many contacts and numbers for each contact that you have, it could take a couple minutes to fully download the PB and for MAP to become usable. This could be why you didn't rec the message,
I am however curious about the SW version still reading 63.03.05, it should be 63.03.06. You're sure that the update went all the way thru?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by xsdbs; 03-07-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:24 PM
MajorBlam

Originally Posted by xsdbs
It sounds like the phonebook download was interrupted at some point and the was continuing when you saw that on the screen. As I mentioned MAP is the last profile process so depending on how many contacts and numbers for each contact that you have, it could take a couple minutes to fully download the PB and for MAP to become usable. This could be why you didn't rec the message,
I am however curious about the SW version still reading 63.03.05, it should be 63.03.06. You're sure that the update went all the way thru?
Sorry, my bad... I took a picture of the version number before the update and that was the one I just referred to by mistake lol. I' can confirm that the new version number is B:63.03.06

Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 AM
xsdbs
Captain

no problem, let me know.

Sorry, my bad... I took a picture of the version number before the update and that was the one I just referred to by mistake lol. I' can confirm that the new version number is B:63.03.06

Quick Reply: 2011 Uconnect / Samsung Galaxy S5 issue