Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Navigation Map Update Rip-Off?

Old 07-17-2015, 05:25 PM
MHAT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Map Update Rip-Off?

I just purchased a new 2015 Caravan R/T and since it was on the lot it already had the $800 upgraded radio with navigation by Garmin. Since it was a Garmin, I figured it would not be too bad and didn't ask the right questions about it. I found out the hard way, by being sent to a gas station that wasn't there and to some roads that didn't exist anymore, that the installed maps were only 2013 versions. Now EVERYONE at Chrysler I've been asking says they are up to date. I know this is BS since my daughters Garmin NUVI gets updates every 3 months for free, for lifetime.

My questions are:

1. What is the average/typical update period for the maps from Dodge?
2. Is there some way to get more regular updates without having to wait for Dodge?
3. Do they rip-off everyone by selling them an $800 obsolete navigation system and then charge them when they do finally provide an update?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:55 PM
cdn_tbird
Amateur

Originally Posted by MHAT
I just purchased a new 2015 Caravan R/T and since it was on the lot it already had the $800 upgraded radio with navigation by Garmin. Since it was a Garmin, I figured it would not be too bad and didn't ask the right questions about it. I found out the hard way, by being sent to a gas station that wasn't there and to some roads that didn't exist anymore, that the installed maps were only 2013 versions. Now EVERYONE at Chrysler I've been asking says they are up to date. I know this is BS since my daughters Garmin NUVI gets updates every 3 months for free, for lifetime.

My questions are:

1. What is the average/typical update period for the maps from Dodge?
2. Is there some way to get more regular updates without having to wait for Dodge?
3. Do they rip-off everyone by selling them an $800 obsolete navigation system and then charge them when they do finally provide an update?
I feel your pain. We just bought a fully loaded 2015 Jeep Cherokee and discovered the same thing. I opened a CAIR ticket with their Canadian head office which ultimately was a waste of time. While the woman I dealt with was nice enough, she said that there was nothing they could do since the maps were the most recent available. At a bare minimum, the first "upgrade" to maps that match the model year of the vehicle should be free.

Personally, I think it's a load of cow dung, since there is an update for the same 8.4AN unit if it was in a 2014 Cherokee. I tried to convince my wife to just keep her Garmin unit or smartphone, but she wanted the integrated unit.

Really not happy with the response I got today, just need to figure out my next step.

Last edited by cdn_tbird; 08-12-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:33 PM
hddecker

Originally Posted by cdn_tbird
I feel your pain. We just bought a fully loaded 2015 Jeep Cherokee and discovered the same thing. I opened a CAIR ticket with their Canadian head office which ultimately was a waste of time. While the woman I dealt with was nice enough, she said that there was nothing they could do since the maps were the most recent available. At a bare minimum, the first "upgrade" to maps that match the model year of the vehicle should be free.

Personally, I think it's a load of cow dung, since there is an update for the same 8.4AN unit if it was in a 2014 Cherokee. I tried to convince my wife to just keep her Garmin unit or smartphone, but she wanted the integrated unit.

Really not happy with the response I got today, just need to figure out my next step.

Don't you go directly to Garmin or the decks manufacturer for the updates, the same as if you were updating the portable GPS. I didn't buy a factory system, but I have talked to a few owners of other makes and they go directly to the map provider for updates.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Map Update Rip-Off?