Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

aftermarket radio won't turn off ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
dblrnut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket radio won't turn off ?

hey guys, so here is the story got an '06 1500 QC with 4 speaker non navigation put in an aftermarket radio I used the can bus harness "yea I know the cheap one works" everything works fine but radio won't turn off when engine off key out door open everything it just keeps playing till I manually press off onradio.
and would this also be the cause of why my amp wont turn off ? I have to pull the remote wire every time I already replaced the remote wire and moved it from the blue amp wire to the red wire behind radio to see if it will turn off with ignition but nogo. any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

Sounds like you got the 12v constant crossed with the switched 12v.
The constand hooks into the radio to save your settings ( time, presets EQ ect..) and the switched should actually power the radio on when the key turns on.

Double check the those 2.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, red (switched) and yellow (constant) sound crossed to me also

Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
dblrnut

I have red to red and yellow to yellow the labels match up meaning yellow is constant on radio and harness and same with red, but it does act like its crossed so should i try yellow to red ? or could there be a short or something in the new radio?

Last edited by dblrnut; 07-28-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 AM
DohCanadian
Amateur

Can you test the wires with a multimeter?

Check the yellow wire, it should have 12 volts regardless of key position.

And then check the red one, it should read 0 volts until you turn the key to the ACC or IGN position, then it will read 12v.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:56 PM
aholgate09

i know this is an older thread but i am having the same problem and am wondering if anyone found a for sure solution.. i have a 2007 ram 1500 QC 5.7 non nav.. also used the more expensive harness mainly because my wife works at best buy and i got it ridiculously cheap. But again installed myself i know i didnt make a mistake.. i used to install for years.. actually how i met my wife at best buy but never the less i just wanna fix this annoyance.. any advice would be appreaciated

Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
dblrnut

nope never found a solution to it, guess thats how it supposed to work. I yanked it out and put it back to stock and sold the harness, in 15 years of doing car audio this is the first time I dealt with a canbus system and will be the last. I would give bestbuy or the likes a shot and see if they can figure it out. hope it works out for you

Old 01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
aholgate09

I did. No clue either. Lol. Maybe I'll try tapping into the cig lighter power source this weekend and see if I can fix this problem

Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 AM
aholgate09

alright.. wanted to update you guys on what i found... after replacing my expensive harness with another expensive harness to check to see if it was faulty, i was still getting the same issue.. radio wont turn off.. so then i unplug the deck from the back of the head unit.. turn the truck to run and bust out the multimeter.. and i get 12.75 volts from the red ign switched wire... turn the truck off with door shut and key out and get 12.75volts which is still right and then open and the door and the wire goes dead?????!?! wtf.. yes it is supposed to go dead but it doesnt make sense that the radio stays on.. so next im thinking maybe the radio is faulty.. so for ****s and giggles i reconnect the radio turn ign to run go thru same steps and when i open the door the radio stays on so i cut the red ign wire and what do you know.. radio turns off.. i dont get it... makes no sense.. these harness at least for this year are bogus... what i did to go around this problem was just use the power source from the cig lighter.. and ta-da it works as supposed to.. and the radio will still play with key off until you open door.. just dont use the power outlet socket for your power source because that one has constant power.. long story short.. buy the cheap harness in this case because your going to have to go thru all the steps to bypass anyways.. hope this helps someone..

Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
MADCRACKER00
Default Morons galore

I know what the problem is here but I do NOT know how to fix it... other than running a new KEY control wire from the fusebox. BUT the problem is DODGE GAY A$$ security features. NOW COME ON WHO THE H&LL WANTS TO STEAL A FACTORY RADIO? COME ON PEOPLE!!!

I found this out the hard way. installed an Alpine into my Mother-In-Law's dodge 1500 ram and had the same issue. rehooked the orig radio back in
and I navigated to SHUTDOWN radio Security... AHHHHH

then installed the Alpine.. IT WORKED
shuts off with the key etc.. nice

6 months later she has a new battery installed.. the radio DOES IT AGAIN
the security re-enabled. it will NOT shut off with the key

I contacted PAC PARTS and no one has emailed me back

so the solution is.. RUN A NEW WIRE from the fuse box to the RED WIRE of your radio harness. be sure it is a keyed fuse you jump off of

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio won't turn off ?