Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Eric Heuschele from SRT answers why SRT-4 is FWD

Old 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eric Heuschele from SRT answers why SRT-4 is FWD

actually, the ralliart version had the full evo drivetrain AWD and all. Id bet that the eclipse could afford a higher price tag than the evo just based on the fact that it looks good in addition to having the performance. I mean unless you have a family and can only have the one car why else would you want 4 doors on a car like that?Fora purist, that bodystyle is a total turnoff. Personally when it comes to cars Im EXTREMELY picky. I work hard for my money and Im not settling. I dont care how fast a car is, if everytime I look at it I blow chunks from disgust (sedans do that to me) then whoever built it wont be selling it to me, and thats that.

Consider too, that ralliart eclipse was built using off the shelf components, there was nothing specially made for the car except fora new grille and a hood with scoop if I remember right. There's no good reason why it couldnt be put right into production. Even if its a small percentage of the total sales, at least they have it to sell. And thats the halo car that Mitsu needs.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 AM
scg87
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

well, not all skylines were AWD, but the last four or so generations have offered an AWD model. most USM skyline enthusiasts are only really familiar with the GTR coupes, which were AWD, but there were also loads of low-performance RWD models made...ive met plenty of people who lived overseas and owning a skyline wasnt anything special.

also, the last installment of the skyline, which we knowas the infiniti G35 coupe and sedan, are also offered overseas as the skyline...however, they are nothing compared to the BNR34, which is the model that most people are used to relating to "a skyline".

i did a year by year review of the skyline a while back, it has more racing success than most cars in motoring history...but most people dont know that.

id be AMAZED to see chrysler release a 2+2 coupe based on the demon...especially with the launch of the challenger...i dont see it happening at all, unless its some derivation of th challenger, such as "the cuda"...
Yeah, there were several years of RWD Skylines, but the car itself is pretty well known for the R32-R34 lineups........and the Skyline is indeed a beast.....it practically never loses in most of the race classes its in.....and they have Skylines runnin 9's...

You are mostly correct. The Skyline in general has always been rwd. AWD wasn't available until 1989 on the BNR-32 GT-R. Even the first two generations of Skyline GT-R's were rwd. Starting w/ the R-32 gen, the GT-R was of course the highest trim available and only offered in awd. The were lesser models, though such as the GTS-T and others depending on generation. There were even Skyline sedans. W/ the introduction of our Infiniti G35, the Skyline moved to the V35 generation in Japan. Their cars were the same as ours in regards to drivetrain options. And there was no GT-R produced on that cars platform. The new GT-R is a Skyline, it's just not officially dubbed as such. You are dead-on htough, in your statement that the R32-R34 GT-R's are what people are familiar w/. I personally see the new GT-R expanding on the previous cars' potential and success. It won't be long before we see newbolt-on GT-R's w/ upped boost tearing up Ferrari's, Z06's, Viper's, and such. They're some bad cars, no doubt. I'd love to have the means to buy one. Guess I have to settle for my slow Z......

Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first and second generation....?

1955-1968??

Old 12-10-2007, 02:26 PM
scg87
Veteran

No, not the first two generations of Skyline, the first two generations of GT-R. The first gen was from 1969-1972. The second gen was the KPGC110 of 1973. You can really almost say their one gen, as they used the same powertrain. The body style and other features were different, though. The GT-R badge didn't reappear until 1989 w/ the BNR32.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:41 AM
5mtDakota47
Amateur

My parents just bought a '07 Jeep Compass with the 2.4l i4 with the 5 speed, and it is front wheel drive. It's got the power, but it loses too much grip because of the front wheel drive. I could never imagine driving this light car with a 300 hp turbo charged engine... all it would do is sit there and spin it's front tires even with ESP on. Heck, there is so much torque steer that when I mash the pedal, it nearly takes me off the road. But then again, I'm too used to drive rear wheel drive. Actually, this is the first front wheel drive I think we've ever owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eric Heuschele from SRT answers why SRT-4 is FWD