Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Based on their financial status and likely intentions, who would you like to see take
I’d like to see Nissan take over. If GM takes over and dissolves, Ill go elsewhere for my next car
51.16%
I would like to see GM take over. If Nissan takes over, I wont buy a "Japanese" based brand.
16.28%
As long as Dodge is there, I will continue buying Dodge regardless of who owns and produces them.
25.58%
Regardless of who takes over control, I will not buy a Dodge built by a GM or Nissan owned Chrysler.
6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Merger/Buyout of Chrysler, What is best for Dodge Lovers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did want to add this as well..... Pontiac has essentially been placed on development freeze.

The G8 will not be given the new platform the Holden Commodore will receive in Australia, the Solstice/Sky has been discontinued, and so far, it looks like the G8 is as well....

More to the point, the G6 isnt even being looked at to be upgraded either...

So its completely possible that Pontiac could be folded.....on its own regardless of this..

Old 10-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not want GM to takeover. I don't want them to kill off great vehicles with POTENTIAL. I would rather Nissan takeover, so more can survive. That said, I would buy Dodge as long as it's around and they keep designing aggressive vehicles, because that's what I like. There aren't many companies that make more than one or two aggressive vehicles. Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep does.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilsReject
I did want to add this as well..... Pontiac has essentially been placed on development freeze.

The G8 will not be given the new platform the Holden Commodore will receive in Australia, the Solstice/Sky has been discontinued, and so far, it looks like the G8 is as well....

More to the point, the G6 isnt even being looked at to be upgraded either...

So its completely possible that Pontiac could be folded.....on its own regardless of this..

Pontiac or Buick will go.... I have always leaned towards Buick as they majority of Buick owners are the baby boomer age and they will not be buying new cars much longer.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pontiac has made a statement that the rumors about the G8 and Sky platforms being cut is not true...but regardless of those issues, i dont think that it matters how well models in the same market are selling...they are still in the same market. I see a tremendous amount of calibers on the road here, but there should be more vibes on the road because theyve had a head start...and i think that with regards to the other models, it doesnt matter to these execs if they are ahead..they want as much market share as possible, so if they see a way to both gain a bunch of liquid assets AND eliminate some competition, theyll likely jump on the chance...

Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
No, it will not. If these companies die off then that's economics. It is not the Government's (yours and my) job to save these companies.
Are you really that ignorent to what would happen with no U.S. auto industry. And what I proposed isn't a bail out or free money, it's no diffrent then a millatry's aircraft, tank, hummer or other contract the govenment has.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Nofrag
Champion

I would actually hope for more of a merger than takeover. Like a little bit of the good side from both companies. For example, dodge has always been more apt to build their concepts into reality, and it usually works out, whereas GM always either scraps or delays theirs(like how the 2008 camaro turned into 09, then 2010). Another fine example, is that GM won't make transmissions of of cheaper, weaker materials just to save a buck and sell some replacement transmissions. And because their still doing it, I assume that Chrysler has the who cares attitude, since people who buy new cars generally don't keep them long enough to experience the fallout of the scrimping.

Another good side of Dodge that I'd like to see carry over to GM, is their sustainability. GM is crying for bailouts every year, and I don't hear that coming from Chrysler. Like how Dodge built a new line in Brampton, On(Challenger), while GM(and ford) are crying that they can't keep their plants running. I've heard GM is asking for a $3B bailout now in Canada, this is however the first time I've ever heard of them offering stock in exchange for the bailout.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilsReject

In my opinion, the move to cancel the F-body was more stupidity then anything else, as I dont think the Camaro was putting that much of a dent in Corvette sales..
The F body got canned because they only sold 35,000 vehicles in the last year of production, 2002 I believe. Not worth keeping the line going.

GM has recently announced they are axing the Trailblazer/Envoy line as well.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Nofrag
Champion

The sales of the Camaro was only poor because of the price. The car was supposed to compete with the mustang, and apparently they forgot that when they started pricing it 50% higher than said pony car. So although it was far superior to the mustang, it just couldn't compete in the showroom.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
bruno426
Captain

Originally Posted by Midnight
I do not want GM to takeover. I don't want them to kill off great vehicles with POTENTIAL. I would rather Nissan takeover, so more can survive. That said, I would buy Dodge as long as it's around and they keep designing aggressive vehicles, because that's what I like. There aren't many companies that make more than one or two aggressive vehicles. Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep does.
+1

I have spent too many days having to install some sort or audio or video equipment in GM vehicles, thats why in another thread, I said I was worried what would happen if GM takes over. Granted most of the parts we buy are not oem, the are oem replacment, made by a third party. However there are things that you can only get at the dealer. If dodge is dissolved, will the oem standarss be dropped to GM standards.

The reason that I ask this is when we work on cars, seems that the only cars that have poor plastic is GM it just... cracks SOOOOO easily, ford dodge nissan toyota, no problem.

Look at the smaller metal parts on a GM even if they endure alot of strain, POT METAL!?

Granted if GM bought dodge I would never buy a dodge again, but anything that was needed from a dealer I would have to look very carefully at.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta say I would much rather see Nissan than GM. GM is hurting too much to keep much of Chrysler around, they want the newer flexible manufacturing plants they can convert to manufacture their own vehicles and shutter their older plants. I see them maybe keeping Jeep and the new Ram around, everything else would probably be gone. With Nissan I see Chrysler staying pretty much intact and probably benefiting from some of Nissan's tech as well.

Originally Posted by Nofrag
Another fine example, is that GM won't make transmissions of of cheaper, weaker materials just to save a buck and sell some replacement transmissions.
Losing the 3/4 clutch is a common problem on the C/K 1500 trucks, both of the GM's my parents company has have had that replaced (and two separate transmission shops have commented it's a very common issue with those)

Last edited by Altair; 10-28-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Merger/Buyout of Chrysler, What is best for Dodge Lovers?