Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concept

How many people liked the Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concept better than the production model? What do you like more about it, if yes? If you have no clue what the Magnum SRT-8 Concept was, check this out...

Magnum SRT-8

THE NEW MUSCLE
It's been more than 30 years since Dodge ruled the streets with HEMI? power and rear-wheel-drive performance. Dodge has unleashed that power in an all-new proportion with the introduction of its 2003 Dodge Magnum SRT-8 concept vehicle.

"Dodge Magnum is the new shape of American muscle," said Dieter Zetsche, President and CEO of the Chrysler Group. "With its innovative packaging, performance and utility, there's nothing else like it. While Chrysler Pacifica is the premium sports tourer, Dodge Magnum is the performance sports tourer that packs a powerful punch and the functionality of an all-wheel drive sport utility. Armed with a HEMI inside and rear-wheel-drive, Dodge Magnum delivers power in a package that offers unmatched flexibility and versatility."

While the Dodge Magnum SRT-8 is a concept vehicle, it provides a strong hint at the first version of Chrysler Group's much-anticipated next-generation of rear-wheel drive "LX" vehicles. A production version similar to the Dodge Magnum SRT-8 concept vehicle will go on sale in 2004 under the Magnum name.

SUPERCHARGED HEMI - a new era
The legendary HEMI engine that powered Dodge's muscle cars of the 1960s has been re-engineered and reborn. The Dodge Magnum SRT-8 concept vehicle features a supercharged version of the 5.7-liter HEMI. While the normally-aspirated 5.7-liter HEMI now used in the Dodge Ram churns out 345 horsepower and 375 lb.-ft. of torque, the addition of the Whipple supercharger pumps up the 5.7-liter HEMI to an estimated 430 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque. This provides heart-stopping acceleration, with the unique combination of maximum power at low rpms for driveability and ultra-high efficiency for top-end horsepower. Just squeeze the throttle and the engine will respond immediately, from idle to redline.

REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE PERFORMANCE
Dodge brings back rear-wheel-drive to transfer all this power to the pavement through an all-new independent five-bar rear-drive layout. The Magnum powertrain and suspension system work together for a precise balance of performance and handling, making optimum use of all four tire contact patches. For ultimate power distribution, an all-wheel drive version of the production Dodge Magnum also will be available.

Technologies such as electronic stability control, traction control and anti-lock brake systems also have reached new levels of advancement to control rear-drive cars to the point where such systems are transparent to the driver. Tire technology utilizing silica sand further enhances traction in all weather conditions.

CONTAGIOUS TECHNOLOGY
Although Chrysler Group had already decided before the merger that the next generation of premium vehicles would be rear-wheel-drive; the 1998 merger with Daimler Benz has afforded Chrysler Group a great portfolio of technology and components. For example, Mercedes is the leader in stability control systems, and spreading that technology across a higher volume will result in reduced per unit costs and high quality at the same time. The production version of the Dodge Magnum SRT-8 will use adapted Mercedes components, including the five-speed automatic transmission, steering and front suspension system, seat structures and electronic architecture. Additionally, Dodge Magnum will use five-link rear suspension architecture based on adapted Mercedes-Benz technology.

COMING SOON
"In terms of performance, design and function, the Dodge Magnum SRT-8 concept will leave its mark as one of the coolest vehicles on the road," said Zetsche. "It is aimed squarely at the next wave of automotive enthusiasts looking for passionate performance, an all-new proportion and a vehicle you can use for just about anything."

Additional features include:

Electronically-controlled five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick?

Dual exhaust

Navigation system

Racing-style milled aluminum pedals with Dodge Viper hole pattern

"Extreme access" liftgate

Cargo volume of 27.0 cu.ft.

Traction control

Electronic stability control

Navigation radio with integrated six-disc CD changer

Dodge.com

redriderbob

Old 02-05-2004, 05:27 PM
JACKAL-D
Default Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concep

<DIV><FONT face=Arial>

<FONT size=2>I first learned of the new Magnum in last months issue of Auto News. I was totally impressed with this new vehicle, from its aggressive looks, sizeand powertrain options. </FONT></P>

<FONT size=2>After browsing the net for more info I came across the SRT-8 Concept. I realized the Concept is much more appealing than the production Magnum. I'm mostdisappointed that Dodge changed the front fascia and headlights in favor of a more bland look, probably for cost cutting reasons.</FONT></P>

<FONT size=2>I've heard rumors that the SRT-8 could be available by 2006. Have you heard any facts to this rumor?</FONT></P>

<FONT size=2>I will still consider the Magnum as a future car, I'm currently looking for a larger and more powerful vehicle to replace my Accord.</FONT></P></FONT></DIV>

Old 02-05-2004, 06:07 PM
HEMI TT
All Star
Default Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concep

well you got toentice people, so make the styling different then the regular production car, ex: SRT-4 vs. regular neon -- front bumper &amp; hood, ground effects, spoiler.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:17 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concep

The supercharged concept was very nice. I'll have to see what the production model has to offer when it finally comes out.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:46 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Default RE: Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concep

I just can't wait to see some aftermarket company come out w/ the concept's hood and headlights!

redriderbob

Old 02-09-2004, 02:50 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Default RE: Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concept

Fixed this post...

redriderbob

Quick Reply: Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Concept