Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Mercedes Diesel in Dodge Ram Pickups

Old 03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
sharms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes Diesel in Dodge Ram Pickups

Hi All

My Dad and Brother-in-law were at a local heavy truck dealer (looking at buying a gravel truck) and the gravel truck had a 450HP Mercedes Diesel in it.

The guy had also told them that the Mercedes Rep told him that Mercedes had a diesel engine in the works for the Dodge Pickups with the same horsepower.

Has anybody else heard anything about this. I wanted to see if this rumour had any legs to stand on.

Thanks
Steven

Old 03-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mercedes Diesel in Dodge Ram Pickups

Issue 46 of my TDR magazine has a Ram 1500 QC test truck from Cummins in it with a 5.6L V-8 displayed power is 350hp and 550lb torque. there is also a 4.2L V-6 version being tested in the 1500's that pushing 270hp and 400lb torque.

now, since DC owns Dodge, and DC also owns Mercedes, and they make their own diesel engines, it would only seem proper to use inhouse engines that mercedes produces.

now, just in the same tests of the 5.6L V8 and the 4.6L V6 diesels from Cummins being put in the 1500's and a mercedes Diesel goin in the 2/3500's is still in the test phase and wheither it will happen or not is still left to be seen. too many Ram owners who have the 5.9L Cummins ISB engine are already fussing about the idea of Dodge being forced away from Cummins in their 2/3500 series trucks

Old 03-14-2005, 04:20 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

I think the current contract with Cummins expires in 2007? I've heard when it does that they will use M-B diesels for the whole truck line.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

I think the current contract with Cummins expires in 2007? I've heard when it does that they will use M-B diesels for the whole truck line.

yes, the contract does expire in 07. but if they were to move to a Mercedes engine no one completely knows yet

Old 03-16-2005, 02:51 AM
OG MagDak
Professional

a mercedes deisel offered in the 1500's probably wouldnt be too bad of an idea, but if they ever put them in the heavier duties it will be a huge mistake. not only do dodge trucks and cummins go hand in hand but, most buyers of heavier duty trucks tend to also enjoy the "american" status of big trucks. if they were ever to stop using cummins their best bet would be detroit deisel, although i dont know how their engines are rated at least its an "american" company (it is owned by DCX). now thats just my opinion, but i have heard the rumor that mercedes deisels have been considered even for the current gen trucks before they came out. i DREAD the day rams use deisels, and am keeping my fingers crossed it never happens.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Dodge drops the Cummins, it is almost the same as Dodge dropping the Hemi's!!!! The average drivers out there don't know much about mercedes diesels. But they know Cummins!

Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

And given their track record with a lot of decisions lately, would this surprise you???

Old 03-18-2005, 07:53 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know that the new Liberty CRD has a benz diesel...but who is to say that it isnt just a cummins? i know that dodge wants to develop their own diesel...im sure they have had some hand in the benz CRD.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:41 PM
mrbudd

I was under the understanding the Liberty diesel was a Detroit Diesel deisgn built in Italy.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
m10rules

Chrysler owns Detroit Deisel, when MB bought out Chrysler it also included DD and DC combined the Benz and DD operations into one group. Contract negotiations on the Cummins desiel are suppose to happen this spring/summer, as the parts for the motor are going to be up for renegotiations at suppliers mid summer. Personally, I don't think DC will drop Cummins, but you may see a couple of years of an option between a DD/Benz desiel and Cummins in the HD Rams to see what customers truely want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mercedes Diesel in Dodge Ram Pickups