Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

The Avenger R/T returns for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:29 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure those numbers aren't circumstantial Pat? When was the last time dodge/chrysler had a compact coupe? I wouldn't think the Stratus or Sebring is in the Midsize class. The Crossfire was unrealistic as it was more expensive to own. Hyundai still makes the tibouron, honda made the s2000, To this day toyota still makes the 2 door scion, chevy made the cobalt, and even tho sales sorta diminished...we had a loan freeze, bailout, housing nightmare, gas increase, inflation problems, and unemployment spike. I'm thinkin a little bit of an exciting new lil sports coupe would bring a lotta new young drivers to the dealerships if it was around the price of the Neons and such.

Also if they aren't tryin to be a compact brand anymore, why are they still designing them? I think it's in the works since they've been doing so for several years staring with the K-car up until 2010 with the Caliber.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

The Neon coupe was cancelled after the first gen because they couldn't sell them. There are just too few people who buy coupes. Yes Honda and Toyota have mid-size coupes, but they are very small volume and very expensive relative to the sedan version. Chrysler is busy trying to shore up their core lines. After they are financially stable, I'm sure we'll see some low volume, interesting stuff. I still think the Demon would be the best coupe concept to bring to market. It's small and light and wouldn't hurt their CAFE and there are several FIAT platforms that would be perfect to throw under it.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

I have to say I disagree on the coupes. Scion is selling a sh!tload of them. Yeah, the corolla is much cheaper and sells more, but its to a different demographic and it isnt nearly as nicely equipped as the scion. Dodge has absolutely dabbled in sport compacts, the SRT-4s are proof of that.

Truth is, if Dodge wants to be a major player, they have to have a diverse lineup. No one gets excited about sedans, they're just boring and mundane no matter what you do to try and spice them up. BUT, some people have to have them, so you need to build them. However, fast sporty and stylish coupes ARE something to get excited about, and Dodge needs to position itself as the kind of company that makes cars for 'car people'.

Hyundai and toyota can have the customers looking for a beige toaster that will quietly shuttle them to work. Thats what the asian manufacturers DO. They make cheap, reliable, boring and unassuming little commuting devices. When people think of japanese cars, thats what they think of and those companies know this. American cars always conjure up images of hotrods and muscle cars, so even the more mundane everyday cars we make need to give the buyer a little piece of that. The Cobalt SS was a mild success because even though it was a subcompact fwd car, it had a little dose of muscle car in it. Chevy never really pushed that car though, not like they do their bread and butter cars which are garbage. I think the tuner crowd would accept american cars if we could deliver the style, performance, handling and most of all the aftermarket support that some of the imports have. The SRT-4 delivered on the performance but theres a LARGE number of that market who wont accept a sedan. You can make a scion tC or a honda civic run comparably to an sti or SRT-4 but you cant make either of those look like anything other than a souped up rental car and thats whats keeping them from the popularity they COULD have. By slapping a turbo into a sedan it looks like you arent committed to what the sport compact buyers want and youre just half assing it, as opposed to really targeting that buyer.

And Ill tell you something else: Dodge shouldnt be a sport compact company OR a muscle car company. They should be viewed as a performance car company. If the neon coupe were brought back along with a sedan, and with an SRT-4 version for both then that car would be an entry level performance car. If you hook in a person buying their first new or first 'fast' car, then thats a gateway car to the Challenger, Charger, or even the Viper. By having a sport compact, a traditional muscle car, and a high end sportscar as well as all the other performance models, then Dodge can regain the street creds that will sell cars to the enthusiast. If that same guy then is in a position where he HAS to have a basic vehicle like a sedan, minivan or suv then that brand loyalty will make him shop Mopar first.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

When Chrysler is healthy enough to do so, they may indulge in a small coupe. Right now, they need to revamp their current line-up and correct some Ram issues. They were just about out of business 2 yrs ago, don't forget. There may be a Fiat design 2dr down the road as well.
I would like to see a 2dr Avenger in a rwd with a Hemi. It would be a real Charger
The Avenger is a sporty looking car, even in 4dr version.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

The numbers don't support a coupe. If Chrysler could make money on it, they'd do it. I'm not sure why the simple fact that the Neon coupe was cancelled isn't registering. It was one of the cheapest coupes you could buy from 1994-1999 and it blew the doors off everything Japan and Germany had to offer in the subcompact segment. Scion is bucking the trend, but that's an aberration in the market. I really doubt Chrysler would get many Toyota fanboys cross shopping with Dodge.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:29 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

I think the Neon coupe now would be a raving success seeing as how there are so many great comments on the SRT-4 motors. One thing many of the fans generated from the srt line of neons often wished it came in a coupe form. Plus the 1st gens with srt-4 motor swaps are big attractions around my area.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by highrevr/tflea
I think the Neon coupe now would be a raving success seeing as how there are so many great comments on the SRT-4 motors. One thing many of the fans generated from the srt line of neons often wished it came in a coupe form. Plus the 1st gens with srt-4 motor swaps are big attractions around my area.
Thats a GREAT point. And Ive seen a lot of Subaru impreza coupes stuffed with STI guts as well. If the more hardcore among the sport compact guys are willing to go to these lengths to make the car the want, then they WILL sell if they get it right. Chevy didnt have any trouble moving the Cobalt SS. I like how the coupe version got the more worked up engine and standard manual trans whereas the 4-door was still offered as an SS but they tailored it to a sedan buyer: detuned turbo, auto-tranny, and toned down the look a bit. That was the right way to do it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM
DarkriderSE

Now if there was a way to use the SRT-4 drivetrain and awd in the avenger that would be epic.

Quick Reply: The Avenger R/T returns for 2012