Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Diesel or hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 AM
mrchewie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesels- Build them, we will buy them. I have a 1st gen, and the only reason I don't have a 2nd gen is the 1st one hasn't worn out yet. Still waiting for the V8 and V6 diesels from Cummins for the 1/2 tons, SUV's, and crossovers. Electricity is for tools...

Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 PM
nurre924
Default Inline diesel vs. V diesels

One reason Cummins has stuck with inline diesels is that you have a main bearing on both sides of each rod throw of the crankshaft. This gives you 7 main bearings for 6 cylinders, as opposed to 5 main bearings for 8 cylinders on a V8. This gives about twice the support from the engine block for the crankshaft, reducing main bearing wear and crankshaft torsional vibration. The torsional vibration is the flexing of the crankshaft due to the power during the powerstroke and then no power for the three remaining strokes. All of this cuts bottom end life severely, because as the main bearings wear the oil pressure and flow to the rod bearings is greatly decreased.

This is one reason the 7.3 liter International V-8 diesels in the Fords do not last as long. Also, it is my understanding that the newer 6.0 liter engines in the Fords do not last as long as the 7.3 liter engines.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
cv66john

Well-done!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

The biggest benefit is torque. When all pistons are going in the same direction, you get a ship load more torque. It's why the heavy trucks all have inline sixes. The old Detroit Silver Series 6V92 and 8V92 were the only V's to come close, but they just couldn't keep up on the hills because of the lack of low-end torque. But get them out on the flats and they could do 120 mph. I know, I had 'em both in the mid-80's.

Quick Reply: Diesel or hybrid?