Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Does anyone want a Dodge diesel option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 PM
ColinSLC56
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although diesel costs more, diesels last longer if well maintained. Besides, who wouldn't love rolling coal in a little Dodge car? I think select models with a diesel option would definitely benefit Dodge economically. I don't think it would be a HUGE hit, but heck, it would increase revenue a heck a lot more than what they have as it is.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by mantisman51
I can only think of the converted Chevy 350 diesels when trying to recall bad diesel engines.
6.0 Powerstroke.

As an aside, the newer Common Rails do have a tendency to cause major damage. An injector fails in a 12v Cummins, you replace it and keep driving. An injector fails in a CR, and you're likely looking at a melted piston or two. And the DPF/EGR has lessened reliability, but I still see diesel as a superior option.

I've lost three CR Cummins engines in two years; the 03 lost two and the 07 lost one. The 03's first failure was injectors (hard start symptom), then the shop replaced them and somehow screwed it up. End result was two melted pistons under 100 miles on replaced injectors. Year and a half later, fluke oil pump failure tossed a rod through the block. The 07 was my fault; playing with a VERY agressive rail pressure box melted two pistons. It still ran and drove though

Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

I would take that option. Why not?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM
08_Dakota
Rookie

Diesel 1/2 Ton sounds great. Not sure what it would be like in a car though. I just love the diesel sound. I am hoping they will keep prices low. So everyone can afford them.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesel in a car is great. I drove several VW Rabbit diesels years ago, and the VW TDI really scoots. Dodge should proceed, but they can't afford to *****-foot around. They need to go after it and do it right. Turbo-diesel or nothing. It's hard to get good performance from an N/A diesel. My maintenance costs weren't high at all. Engine held the same amount of oil as the VW gas engines. In fact, VW's diesel was also a gas conversion...done right.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:45 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge, chrysler. ford. gm and every car brand in north america is messed up.

The rest of the commom world has been running diesel engines for years upon years. ,

New engines in HD duty trucks are garbage with all the emisson crap built into them, thats why thier is a run on gasoline powerd engines in north america.

as mentioned,you take a 65mpg jetta and down grade it to 45 mpg to burn more cleaner flue to get less mpg is a joke.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

I'm currently shopping VW TDI's, namely the new Golf. Chevy is apparently going to offer a diesel in their Cruze in a few years. If Dodge/Chrysler would offer a good diesel in a low-priced, stylish ride, the Golf wouldn't even be on my list. But by the time they decide to, I'll probably have a TDI of some sort so...damn.

And it HAS to have a manual option Dodge/Chrysler!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:15 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Dodge, chrysler. ford. gm and every car brand in north america is messed up.

The rest of the commom world has been running diesel engines for years upon years. ,

New engines in HD duty trucks are garbage with all the emisson crap built into them, thats why thier is a run on gasoline powerd engines in north america.

as mentioned,you take a 65mpg jetta and down grade it to 45 mpg to burn more cleaner flue to get less mpg is a joke.
Actually it's our EPA that's messed up. I'll try to explain this so it's not so confusing. Not because people are stupid, but the rules on diesel engines ARE STUPID! In 2002 the EPA changed the rules that limited the amount of soot in diesel exhaust and 2 out of 3 big truck engine manufacturers started using EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) systems to reduce soot. And that soot rule is what causes American diesels to get far less fuel economy than European diesels. Now here's the kicker: 2002 Class 8 diesels (80k lbs+) got an average 7 mpg without EGR. 2003 Class 8 diesels averaged a little over 5 mpg because of EGR. Because of the loss of fuel economy, there is MORE SOOT being emitted. But the EPA claims a victory because the soot as a percentage of that exhaust is lower. That massive loss of fuel economy is why trucks are using so much more diesel fuel and why diesel has become so expensive relative to gasoline. That, my friend, is liberal politics running the EPA and hurting our economy.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

p.s. I have read the EPA has added a huge list of new "pollutants" that have to be reduced, so it is even worse now than when I was a driver and mechanic. The same rules for big trucks is what is making it difficult to bring diesel cars on the market, as well.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
PWR

In Europe Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles come with diesel engine options that aren't available in NA.

EG:
Jeep Wrangler with a 2.8L diesel.

http://www.jeep.de/wrangler_unlimite...crd/index.html

Here's an example of a used Chrysler Voyager (remember that van name) with a 2.8L diesel.

http://www.webmobil24.com/web/de/cjd...style=chrysler

In Europe, the Chrysler mini-vans are now being marketed under the Lancia product brand.

http://www.lancia-services.de/iaa2011/

Another interesting fact is that all of the Diesel engines used by Chrysler in Europe are designed and built by an Italian company called VM Motori., which is now co-owned by GM and Fiat. Fiat bought 50% ownership from Penske Corp!

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/01/index.jsp

In fact a good majority of Chrysler engines have come from various different sources such as the 4.0L straight 6 in the Jeeps was an AMC designed engine.

Last edited by PWR; 10-17-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone want a Dodge diesel option?